Trouble installing with Word 365

I'm having trouble getting the Word plugin to appear in my new installation of Word 365. I've followed the manual instructions but the icon is still not showing up in the ribbon:
https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_manual_installation

The Zotero .dotm file is in my Word startup, and Zotero Word for Windows Integration is enabled in the Zotero Add-ons Manager. Is there an additional step I need to take? I wonder if maybe there's a security issue with my work computer - it allowed me to install Zotero without a problem, but maybe the integration with Word is being impeded?
  • I hope I am not out of line by writing the following, I am having the same problem as rghertner, the zotero tab will not show up in the ribbon - including after following the linked instructions from adomasven (or manual installation instructions found elsewhere on this website). It is possible to use the zotero.dotm anyway by going to the developers tab and click on macros - and choose whichever option is suitable. It is somewhat awkward so I would very much find a solution that successfully adds the zotero-tab to the ribbon.
    Cheers,
    Pelle
  • Generally speaking, if it doesn't show up at startup, the .dotm file isn't actually in the active Word Startup folder, or it's disabled in Templates and Add-ins.
  • @pelle_pms although if you see Zotero macros via the Developer tab there might be something up with your Normal.dotm Word file. You could try resetting it by moving it somewhere else temporarily and have Word recreate a new one.
  • @adomasven I tried that, but the new normal.dotm did not make a difference. I am running zotero on a work-computer that I do not have admin rights on (had to ask the IT-department to allow the installation).

I have tried adding the ZoteroRibbon-macro from normal.dotm (it shows as available there when I open the organizer in the developer-> document template popup window) to the macros available in a specific document as well, (for no particular reason other than trying anything that I could think of) but that did not change anything.
  • Right. Hard to say what's blocking the display of the tab without knowing what restrictions are in place, but they are likely responsible for the issue. Another thing to try is to open Zotero.dotm itself and see whether the tab is displayed, although even if it is displayed that way, I'm not sure what other troubleshooting steps to extrapolate from there. You shouldn't base your documents on the Zotero.dotm template, you're better off using the macros manually. You might be able to add them to the quick access bar in Word.
  • The opening the Zotero.dotm file does not result in a tab. I'll try to get the macros on the quick access bar. Thanks for trying!
  • Update: so I was able to manually create a Zotero tab in the ribbon by following the directions in this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/video-customize-the-ribbon-9ce81e05-ecc1-4142-a3e3-1298b37a59c6
    I selected the macros option in the "Choose command from" list and added all of them to the group after having named the tab "Zotero". In the tab the macros are clickable but do not look pretty i.e. they all have the same icon and are named e.g. Project.Zotero.ZoteroAddEditBibliography and Project.Zotero.ZoteroInsertCitation etc...
    I also added all 9 macros, but I believe some of them are interchangeable, right?
  • Yes. The older macros there are for backwards compatibility. You don't need the individual Add and Edit macros, the AddEdit ones are enough (and what the proper Zotero tab uses).
  • OK, perfect. I was able to change the symbol so I can at least distinguish between the different macros now.
  • And changing the name was possible too :)