Mendeley Import Crash for Big Library

I am having trouble using the new Mendeley importer of the Zotero beta version. I have quite a big Mendeley library and the importer crashes after about 30 min of running. I've already tried the import multiple times and it always seems to crash at a different place. Here is the report ID from the last crash 1794742695. Is there any workaround? Is there a way to resume the import from the place were it crashed? Thanks for your help!
  • Error(s) encountered during statement execution: database or disk is full"
    It looks like your disk is full.
  • Mmmm, I do have a pretty full disk. I will try to empty some of it and hopefully it will work. However, I've tried to import from Mendeley several times by now without deleting documents in between each attempt. By now the space occupied by the duplicates certainly exceeds the amount of space that would be required by my full library without duplicates.
  • edited May 17, 2021
    Zotero doesn't create duplicates from multiple imports, but it does need to download a copy of all of your Mendeley files. I think it may also download files into a temporary folder ('tmp' in your Zotero data directory) regardless of whether they're been imported in a previous run, so you might need up to twice the amount of space that your library will ultimately take up, if you've run it and imported many files previously.

The easiest thing to do is to close Zotero and just delete the Zotero data directory, and then clear enough space elsewhere on your computer so that you're sure you have more than enough space for all your Mendeley files, and then restart Zotero and repeat the import while keeping an eye on disk space.
  • I have tried to do this multiple times by now and it is still not working. After clearing some space it got better and now the transfer is going further. However, now it is always stopping after the same file. I don't think it is a storage issue given that I have freed upwards of 30 GB by now.

My last error report was 1089039960
  • [JavaScript Error: "TypeError: attachment is undefined" {file: "chrome://zotfile/content/pdfOutline.js" line: 52}]
    Zotero.ZotFile.pdfOutline</this.getOutlineFromFiles@chrome://zotfile/content/pdfOutline.js:52:9
    @chrome://zotfile/content/pdfextract/toc.js:99:1
    Zotero_File_Interface</this.showImportWizard@chrome://zotero/content/fileInterface.js:285:5
    Zotero_File_Interface</this.authenticateMendeleyOnlinePoll/<@chrome://zotero/content/fileInterface.js:869:49
    You're getting an error from ZotFile. Disable that and try again, and provide another Report ID if it's still failing.
    [JavaScript Error: "Win error 123 during operation remove on file R_[…]._C:\_Solid_State_Phys._6_013.pdf (The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
    )" {file: "(unknown module)" line: 0}]
    [JavaScript Error: "TypeError: path is undefined" {file: "resource://gre/modules/osfile/ospath_win.jsm" line: 91}]
    You're also getting this, due to the "C:\" in the filename. I believe this would just be a warning, not an error, but if it's still failing after disabling ZotFile you could try deleting this file from your Mendeley library before importing.
  • Perfect, I will try disabling ZotFile first and if that doesn't do the trick I will deleted the pdf you mentioned. I will let you know what the outcome is.
  • edited May 18, 2021
    It still failed, here is the report id 1667317206. I will try to delete the file we mentioned above and if it still fails I will let you know. BTW, thank you very much for all of your help! Also, it failed at the same spot it failed all of the times after I cleared up disk space.
  • So, now both solutions failed. Here is the last report id I got 901764600. Do you have another idea of what it might be? Thanks!
  • edited May 19, 2021
    Could we see a Debug ID (different from a Report ID) for an attempt that fails? That should give us more info on what's happening.
  • edited May 19, 2021
    I did a new run. Here is the Report ID: 1498678878. Here is the Debug ID: D148075314. Hopefully with this info we will be able to figure out what went wrong. It might be useful to know that since yesterday all of my attempts have stopped at exactly the same place.
  • How many items are you expecting, and how many are imported?

Can you temporarily disable auto-sync in the Sync pane of the preferences and then provide a Debug ID for another import attempt?

When you say it's "crashing", what exactly do you mean?
  • I am expecting 1176 items and 614 are being imported.

I will disable all auto-sync options and provide another Debug ID

When I say it's crashing I just mean that the import window stops showing a loading bar and instead shows an error message.
  • The error message that appears is: An error occurred while trying to import the selected file. Please ensure that the file is valid and try again.

The report ID was 1677579182

The debug ID was D1728676123

• OK, the bug that was causing this to stop the import should be fixed in the latest beta. Can you update to that via Help → Check for Updates and provide another Debug ID for an import? I'd expect it to finish without error, but I'd still like to see the Debug ID, since this was only occurring because some of your Mendeley files that should've been downloaded couldn't be found for some reason, and I want to make sure that's not a problem on our end.
  • Great! After the update the import now ran smoothly (I only tried it with ZotFile and sync options disabled). Here is the Debug ID you asked for though D615806973. Thank you very much!
  • Quick follow up question. Now that I did the import with ZotFile turned off, how do I get ZotFile to pass all of my attachments to my cloud storage folder? I already reenabled ZotFile but I was hoping it would do this automatically. It didn't and I can't find any options to update my ZotFile with my current library.