HTML formatting for citation titles, etc., not displaying properly in Word footnotes

HTML formatting for citation titles, etc., is not displaying properly in Word footnotes when using Chicago (note).

Example:
Hopson, Nathan. “Takahashi Tomio’s Henkyō, The Universal Japanese Frontier (An Interpretation).” Verge: Studies in Global Asias 4, no. 1 (2018): 85–109.

This displays correctly in the source list, with the italics on the book title, Henkyō, which I inserted with the old faithful < i > < / i > tags.

Sadly, the footnote is:
Hopson, “Christopher Noss’ Tohoku and ‘Survey of Rural Fukushima.’”

No italics.

This problem is currently reproducible with all citations containing HTML tags.

This is a new issue, at least for me.

----
MacOS 11.3 (20E232)
Zotero 5.0.96.2
Word for Mac 16.48 (21041102)
  • Could you take a screenshot of what you are seeing and upload to Dropbox or similar and link here? Also if you can upload a document with just one citation showing the issue and link here that would be helpful too.
  • Note that the Chicago (note) style uses the short title field when it exists, so you'd need to make sure that the italic tags are set there, too, which doesn't happen automatically when you set them for the full title (it'd be convenient if it did and I'd think definitely something Zotero should consider when properly implementing richt text, but that's a question for the future).
  • @adamsmith thanks for reminding me of this. Turns out that the two sources I chose were the ones I had forgotten to do this. I feel stupid and grateful all at once.