How to export booksection as @incollection instead of @inbook?

How to export booksection as @incollection instead of @inbook? I am writing a manuscript using Rmarkdown+BibTeX, where several book sections are cited. I need them to be cited as @incollection as
  • Hi @emilianoeheyns ! Thanks for your reply! I have already installed this extension but it did not work. It just automatically translate book section into @inbook, but I need the book title @incollection

@inbook{eerkens2014,
    title = {Cultural transmission theory and hunter-gatherer archaeology},
    author = {{Eerkens}, {Jelmer W.} and {Bettinger}, {Robert L.} and {Richerson}, {Peter J.}},
    editor = {{Cummings}, {Vicki} and {Jordan}, {Peter} and {Zvelebil}, {Marek}},
    year = {2014},
    date = {2014},
    publisher = {Oxford University Press},
    pages = {1127--1142},
    address = {Oxford}
    }

• Sorry I forgot to mention that it works well if I directly export the bib file. However, when I use the autocompletion function of RMarkdown it can never be identified as @incollection
  • If you are working with RMarkdown, you really don't want to be working with BibTeX/BibLaTeX at all. Instead, you should export to CSL YAML or CSL-JSON. When you use Bib(La)TeX, pandoc internally converts it back to CSL format anyway, and this is a lossy conversion (so citations to things like software or reports will often be wrong). CSL doesn't distinguish between chapters that are "inbook" versus "incollection"--they are all just "chapter".
  • You cite items the same way in RMarkdown whether you use the native CSL YAML/JSON formats or one of the other formats that pandoc can internally convert (RIS, BibTeX, etc.): @citekey

See here for a demo https://osf.io/qmxbv/
  • @Raylc1996 apologies I did not consider your case -- bookSections that also have a book author are exported as @inbook by Better BibTeX (note Better BibLaTeX) with the idea that a book section in a book that has a book author is more likely to be a cohesive book than is is to be an edited collection of separate works. If that's a problem for you, let's talk on github.

But yeah also everything @bwiernik says, with the sole exception of using RMarkdown/pandoc to go through LaTeX to produce PDF. In all other instances you'll get structurally better results going the CSL route for pandoc-driven workflows.
  • Sorry I forgot to mention that it works well if I directly export the bib file. However, when I use the autocompletion function of RMarkdown it can never be identified as @incollection
    that seems to me something the RMarkdown crew will want to address.
  • Thank you so much for your suggestions! @bwiernik @emilianoeheyns Will definitely look into these formats later!