Error when entering Zotero note in table in LibreOffice Writer/Linux

I'm using Zotero 5.0.96.2 for Linux and LibreOffice 6.0.7.3 for Linux (Mint 20).

I have a use case where I need to enter footnotes/endnotes inside a table element in a LibreOffice writer document. This has worked before but does not now - specifically when entering a second footnote/endnote. Unfortunately I only get "An error has ocurred when updating your document" without any more specifics. Updating works when the footnotes/endnotes are outside of a table. Since I have to enter quite a few for documentation purposes and this has worked previously I wonder what I could do to make it work again. Can anyone confirm this behaviour? Any tips on what might have changed since ~January, when I last used this?
  • Having multiple references in LO tables has always been fragile, and I don't think there's an easy workaround. Which citation style are you using?
    One option might be to insert the footnotes using LO and put the references into footnotes.
  • I use Vancouver citation style. As I said, it has worked previously in tables but it seems either LibreOffice or Zotero developers have broken something in the meantime. It never worked when trying to enter footnotes/endnotes inside a caption, eg to mention the source of a graphic or image and that is still the case.
    Yes, I guess for this use case I will have to forego the use of Zotero, hard as that may be. I only started using it about a year ago, but it's fascinating how used you can get to something when it just works... :-)
    Thanks for the feedback.
  • Yeah, inserting straight in Footnotes won't work with Vancouver. It's multiple Zotero references in a single table that have frequently been an issue given how tables are handled in LibreOffice. If this worked before, that was likely luck. Reports on this go many years back.