Feature request: option to turn off automatic capitalisation

There are several threads and lengthy discussions on this Forum about the ‘right’ rules for capitalising titles in English, other languages or mixed. (English is the only language that has a title case at all).

I am bored by them! For me, Jurism / Zotero is overthinking capitalisation. I do not need Jurism / Zotero to capitalise for me; I am quite capable of doing it myself. I like the “Title case” option in Zotero fields; that helps, but I would still like to be able to make corrections and have them stand as I write them. I do not want them overridden by Zotero!

Could we not have a preference in Zotero to simply turn off automatic capitalisation?

• You really should not store your items in title case. CSL styles expect items in sentence case. If you really want to disable this, add anything that is not en or English to the language field for the items.
  • I'd rather not pref this (which introduces yet another variable to troubleshoot), but it's trivial to change in the citation style, especially since it sound like you're working with a custom version anyway. Simply remove text-case="title" everywhere from the style.
  • @bwiernik, I have done that in the past in Zotero, e.g. by setting the document language field to zxx. However, that is no longer possible in Jurism as one can only select from a drop-down list, which does not include zxx; you have to select the correct language so Jurism knows which variant to include in citations.
  • @adamsmith How do I change a citation style??
  • @adamsmith Thanks! That was a great solution to my problem. I suppose that makes the Feature Request a lower priority, though it would still be a nice-to-have for any user less willing to tackle programming than I.

FYI, I used the 'manual' method of downloading the file and editing with TextEdit. I made a global replace of text-case="title" to nothing. I also changed the id and the name, so that when I install it, it appears as a different style option ("~ no capitalisation"); so I can still switch back to the original style if I wish.

BTW, I'm not sure what you meant by 'custom version'; I wasn't working with a custom version before (unless you count Jurism as 'custom'?), but I suppose I am now!

• BTW, I'm not sure what you meant by 'custom version'; I wasn't working with a custom version before (unless you count Jurism as 'custom'?), but I suppose I am now!
    I think I just misread one of your posts.