Anyone here using Zotero for Mac with ANOTHER word processor than MS Word?

Anyone here using Zotero for Mac with ANOTHER word processor than MS Word?

Anna
  • Libreoffice works
  • As does google docs using Chrome or Firefox.
  • emilianoeheyns wrote: "Libreoffice works."

Thanks for the feedback. How do you make it work if the author's name contains an umlaut or a diacritics?

Do you use RTF Scan or ODF Scan?

adamsmith suggested that something might be broken on my machine. Therefore I created a new user account today: System Preferences > Users & Groups > Other Users (on the left side) in order to test Zotero in a new, pristine environment. It worked indeed in the beginning for a short time, but after ca. 10 minutes and 10 attempts I was back were I was before. :–(

Tested LibreOffice v7.0.5.2 again with Zotero today. Same result: if the author's name contains an umlaut or a diacritics then there is big trouble ahead. I have noticed some inconsistency which I can't explain. For example, of 4 references with diacritics, three may show up in the Verify-Cited-Items window and needs to be confirmed, the fourth does not appear at all, nowhere. Perhaps Zotero doesn't like the last name Árnason, although other names with diacritics may come through…, but, alas, not permanently though. In the next attempt none of the references may appear. Or in other words, there seems to be some random behavior going on here.

Anna
  • @AnnaWul You didn't really answer @adamsmith 's question. Are you using LO as an intermediate step to use some other software such as Scrivener or is a LibreOffice document your final product? If LO is being used for your end product, there is something wrong apart from LO and Zotero. I use a Mac with Zotero and LO and I have no issues with diacritics.

See: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/382054#Comment_382054
  • You can use LibreOffice using the Zotero add-on to insert citations and that'll 100% work with names using any UTF-8 character, very much including Umlauts. Your question actually seems to be about using Scanning. Let's keep that in the other thread that DWL links to because it's much more specific.
  • DWL-SDCA asked: "Are you using LO as an intermediate step to use some other software such as Scrivener or is a LibreOffice document your final product?"

Nisus Writer Pro is my final product, but since I have neither been able to make RTF Scan nor ODF Scan work when the author's name contains diacritics I tried Scrivener and LibreOffice, but to no avail. Then I undertook LibreOffice v7.0.5.2 a rigorous test, both as an intermediate step and as a final product, i.e. the .odt document was created in LibreOffice and the result of the ODF Scan was viewed in LibreOffice.

DWL-SDCA wrote: "I use a Mac with Zotero and LO and I have no issues with diacritics."

Thank you for this information. Could you be so kind and test this for me, please?
    I have a reference which looks like this:
    Ólafsson, Jéns. Title. London 2020.

Enter this reference into Zotero for Mac and make a RTF Scan and ODF Scan. What do you get?

What I get is described here:
  • (See above -- I think you're just missing a step in ODF Scan)
  • edited May 10, 2021
    @AnnaWul I haven't had experience with a newer version of Nisus Writer Pro but I helped someone trying to use the software last year. That it is based on RTF was a big problem because it didn't seem to FULLY understand RTF from other software. My colleague had trouble cutting and pasting words that had characters with diacritics. This made copying words such as "naïve" from text outside NWP a problem. The word looked something like, "na#`$ve" . She could achieve such characters only by typing by hand.

My comment to her was that the software seemed to be very naïve about non-English words. Thus, my choice of example. I did like the Nisus interface and I am pleased with their Mail search utility.

edited twice for clarity
  • edited May 12, 2021
    @DWL–SDCA
    Wow, this is quite a story! Thanks for sharing. :–)

A few things that come to mind:

1. Nisus is not based on RTF, it's only the default format in which Nisus documents are saved. You have a range of other formats you can save your documents in. You are by no means restricted to RTF.

2. There are—unfortunately—many different types of RTF in use. Nisus should have all the common RTF features implemented, but in addition to that Nisus has added enhancements to the format to make it more powerful.

3. What was the software your friend was trying to paste from?

4. Was she trying to paste from a Web browser? If yes, did she make sure the Text Encoding was set to Unicode (UTF-8)?

5. Was she trying to paste from a PDF? If yes, then the text quality always depends on the OCR quality. This has nothing to do with Nisus. You would have got the same results in any other word processor. — If you go to Internet Archive and click on a text version of a document, the text has usually many typos, sometimes it's almost unreadable, whereas the PDF version is always perfectly readable.

6. Here is a random example: 

This text was digitized by Google and if you click on the text version of this document the first "words" you'll see (all illegible) are:
LEUNO STANrOTH) JUNIOR Ür'.tVEKoiTY, 
/\(D^^t

7. "My comment to her was that the software seemed to be very naïve about non-English words." Nothing could be further from the truth. Of ALL word processors for the Mac, including Mellel, Nisus Writer Pro is the one that has the greatest competence when it comes to writing in foreign languages and mixing multiple languages in one and the same document. If I remember right, it supports over 160 languages, much more than Mellel.

8. You should have asked in the Nisus Forum
    https://nisus.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=18.
    Many experts are there willing to help.
  • @DWL-SDCA
    I didn't notice until now that the link in 6. didn't show up. The link is here:
    https://archive.org/details/goethejahrbuchv05germgoog/page/n20/mode/2up

Please go to the site so you understand what I was talking about.

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience.