PDF Reader (Wishlist): Make it understand scientific publications

edited May 8, 2021
I am so happy that Zotero is back in the PDF reader business (and using a web-technology based solution). In the last years I have thought along the way what a "perfect" scientific PDF reader should/could offer and I have some suggestions below. I do understand that understanding PDF is super hard, so I can understand if it is not implementable.

1) Understand references. In Scientific texts (paper, books, theses), references are often collected at the back/beginnning/end of the chapter. They are referenced within the text using different type of annotations, perhaps start simple by only supporting the most common ones (numbered, short labels) that are also a link in the document. I do not think it needs to work in every case, but ideally often enough.
1.1) On mouse-over to the reference show the bibliographic information. Evince has a simpler replacement for this feature, that it shows part of the page where the link is going.
1.2) If in library give a link to the item.
1.3) Sidebar with all the references extracted from the bibliography, ideally with links to where they are referenced in the document.
1.4) The reference if in the library could show a preview of the pages, often one just wants to remember oneself if one read the paper.

2) Working with figures/equations. Figures, tables and equations are a common element in some scientific fields. On printed, going to a figure is a fast process, going back is also fast.
2.1) On mouse-over of a link to a figure, show the figure with caption as a floating element.
2.2) When going to the figure show a floating button to go back to where one comes from. Support a key (e.g. Backspace) to go back to where you come from.
2.3) Extract figures plus Caption and show them in the sidebar, as many people only look at the figures and read the caption to "understand" the value of the paper.
2.4) Find references in the text to the figure and offer links next to the figure to go to the location in text where the Figure is mentioned.

3) Work with the Metadata of the publication
3.1) Allow to search your library for other publications by some Author. E.g. in the sidebar that already shows the informations on the publication, a right-click entry or so to search for other publications by the author.

4) Use the digital opportunities to work with the PDF.
4.1) Collapse part of the document. Either by just being at one position and shrinking the area. Or by e.g. choosing only to show the areas of the PDF containing Figures.
4.2) Automatically execute the Crossmark Service (when chosen by the user)

5) Annotations
5.1) In Comments it should be possible to reference other publications in the library. E.g. by the Bibtex Key or some other method.
5.2) Comments should be attributable to Authors (like in the PDF Format already available)
5.3) A service like Hypothesis or similar should be included.
5.4) If a privacy preserving way can be found, it would be great to have something like in the Kindle. 50 readers have highlighted this area.

6) Social Features
6.1) Make it possible to share publications with other Zotero Users, even if they are not in a group library. E-mail is just to annoying to keep track of this.
6.2) Share ones annotation with a colleague.

Thanks for all the work that you are doing.