Conference presentations and posters

edited May 7, 2021
What's the best item type for conference presentations and posters? I tried the obvious "conference paper" and "presentation" but they both miss important fields.

Here's a random example from a big international conference: https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU21/EGU21-2844.html

The problem is that the contributions have an individual identifier (in this example: "EGU21-2844") and are also organised in sessions with a name that is different from the conference name (here: "ITS3.5/NH3 Learning from the past? The role of extreme events and natural hazards in the human past", the conference is "EGU General Assembly 2021").

There is no provision for this info in the "conference paper" or "presentation" type. "conference paper" seems to be for full papers that are published in conference proceedings similar to a book. "Presentation" only has one field for the name of the meeting, so I can't add the session title or the identifier of the individual presentation.
  • edited May 8, 2021
    "Conference paper" is for published papers in proceedings volumes, as you said. Conference presentations (talks) are "Presentation".

I don't know about the second part of your question. I would use the "meeting name" field for the name of the conference and the name of the workshop, if needed.

As for the individual identifier (is that for publishers papers, or the presentations), is that instead of a page range? Or would it be part of the title? Or again you could add it to the conference name?

Someone else may be able to say more about the options in CSL and Zotero if you want to go beyond the standard fields.
  • Thanks for the reply.

The individual identifier is like a page range, but the item type "presentation" does not have a page field.

I know I can define additional information with the "extra" field, but then this is not used when I export the item.

I just think the presentation type should have more optional fields. In science it is fairly typical to have these enormous conferences with tens of thousands of participants and hundreds of sessions, so I think this needs to be able to record more information than just the conference name, otherwise you'll never find it again. This would be like just recording the journal name for articles without volume and page info.
  • Also I think every item type should have a doi field. DOIs are not just for published articles but for any digital ressource.
  • edited May 9, 2021
    Every item type will indeed have a DOI field in the future, so that one will definitely happen. I believe some more details for presentations are planned, but I don't think a separate identifier field. @bwiernik worked on this and would be able to say more.
  • Came here to ask what to do about DOIs for presentations. Good to know they will be introduced in a future revision of Zotero. Thanks!
  • You can already add them:
    Citation styles will pick up
    DOI: 10.1234/5678 in the Extra field (assuming they're set up to print DOIs for presentations/all item types).
  • Oh! I didn't know that. Thanks!
  • If a presentation has a page number, that seems to imply it’s formally published in a proceedings, so I would use Conference Paper for that.

If the identifier is a DOI or presentation number, enter them in Extra like adamsmith showed:
    DOI: 10.1234/56890
    Number: 36

If the presentation is part of a larger session (like a symposium), you can add those details to Extra too:
    Container title: Title of session
    Chair: Last || First

“Chair” isn’t currently supported by any CSL styles, but will be once updated for CSL 1.0.2 are made. For now, you could use “Container author” instead.
  • @bwiernik Thanks for that excellent summary!