How to export ".bib" file to Dropbox directory

Hi. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I could not find how to do it anywhere.

I want to export a ".bib" file with all the content of my library to "$HOME/Dropbox/My Library.bib" with Better BibTeX. But when the "Save" dialog box opens, the Dropbox directory is nowhere to be found, and if I try to type it in the text box I get the message «Error when getting information for file "/home/user/Dropbox": No such file or directory.» Of course, the directory exists.

Actually, this problem happens with any "non-standard" directory, i.e., any directory other than Desktop, Document, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Public, Videos, and Zotero.

Why is this happening? How do I save the file where I want it?

Thanks.
  • Which operating system? How did you install Zotero?
  • I am running Ubuntu Linux 20.04:
    $ uname -a
    Linux oriax 5.8.0-50-generic #56~20.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 12 21:46:35 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I install Zotero via Flatpak:
    $ flatpak list
    [...]
    Zotero org.zotero.Zotero 5.0.96 stable system

Sorry to fail to mention that before.
  • yeah, that's the problem. The Flatpak is sandboxed, which causes issues with accessing the file system for apps. You could talk to the Flatpak maintainers (the package isn't maintained by Zotero) or you could switch to the Zotero deb, which is maintained by BBT's developer:
    https://github.com/retorquere/zotero-deb/
  • Thanks a lot for your answer.

I got Zotero from the standard download page (https://www.zotero.org/download/). Installed it, and it is working.

I went for the Flatpak because the installation seemed simpler, but I should have known better.

Thanks a lot.
  • While we recommend zotero-deb generally, note that you were on an outdated version of the Flatpak. The latest version should already have all of $HOME back in the sandbox — they removed it recently in favor of something more restrictive, but we asked them to restore it due to many reports like this, and I believe it's restored in 5.0.96.2.