More than one computer: missing syncing abilities

Hello,

i wanted to ask, if it is planed that zotero supports more protocols than webdav in future? Because of the fact, that the database gets corrupted if you use zotero from different computers on a Netshare i don't really understand why there is not the simplest syncing ability: Sync to a local location? Users in Windows could sync then on a net drive and Linux users like me onto a NFS share.
This would be a really important feature because of named reason, because i don't want to setup webdav on my server only because of zotero. This would be a little extreme.

Is it possible to add this simple syncing ability?

Thanks
Stolzi
  • The easiest and for a little experienced users most genius thing i could imagine would be to make a field "user defined sync command". This way everything would be possible... syncing local with unison, syncing over ssh, ftp, ....

What do you say to this idea?
  • WebDAV is only used for file syncing; the database is still synced using the zotero.org site. You can sync only the storage subdirectory (which contains your attachments) using any external mechanism you wish & your database will not be adversely impacted. Further, there is now file sync to Zotero's server & so you can sync all information without needing WebDAV.
    The easiest and for a little experienced users most genius thing i could imagine would be to make a field "user defined sync command". This way everything would be possible... syncing local with unison, syncing over ssh, ftp, ....
    There is no easy way for this to work for the database file. It might be possible for something like this for file sync, but it would probably be confusing & is really not needed when you can use the supported sync mechanisms.
  • st
    edited September 22, 2009
    Yes, i am talking about the storage subdirectory, which i need with my database in my local network like most users with more computers i think. Look in the forum how much people (including me) had problems because they try to use zotero with multiple computers.

I don't think that it is a good idea to use an external mechanism when it is not called by zotero, because: You don't know when you should update. Every hour? Makes no sense when you switch computer off after 30 min. Every time the computer is switched off? Makes no sense because a lot of people let computers on.

So i think it is really needed. And i don't think that it is confusing. Because like you said WebDAV also only syncs the files. So what is confusing to make in the selection box where now is: zotero and webdav a third entry: "User defined"? And if you think users are not able to use this: Why isn't it possible to let zotero sync with a local directory? This would be enough to make everything, because when i need ssh i can mount it locally.

Please think ones more: What sense makes it to sync to zotero or webdav if i only want to work on local computers?
  • I think you underestimate how complicated syncing is.
    The main issue with simple syncing is database corruption if you're working from several machines at the same time. Standard syncing doesn't protect against that.

If you want a simple solution - what noksagt says - just sync your storage directory - you can set the sync to every 5 mins - rsync doesn't use much resources (isn't that about what MAC time machine does?).
  • st
    edited September 23, 2009
    I never said that syncing in general is simple... i only said that i don't understand why local syncing would be not possible, but syncing to webdav is possible. And yes, when the really complicated syncing to webdav is implemented i don't see why the important syncing to local should be a problem.