PDF annotation extraction problems

Hi,
I've set up the zotfile and trying to use it for annotation extraction. I'm using Mac OS Big Sur 11.2.1
So far it's not working with Poppler (debug id D1108649060)
Or with pdf.js D1229306262.
I can see the annotation in the built-in pdf reader, but cannot extract.
Appreciate your help
  • I'm confused -- are you using the beta with the built in PDF reader or are you using Zotfile? Those are two different things and if you annotate in the built-in PDF reader, Zotfile wouldn't have anything to extract (nor would there really be a use case for that functionality)
  • Thank you. Yes, that's what I was trying to do. I was using the built-in PDF reader, annotating the file, and then tried to extract the annotations.
    I now went back and annotated the file in Preview, and then the annotations are extractable - it does work.
    I'm surprised the built-in PDF reader annotations are not extractable, and it does reduce the usability of this reader for me. Annotations are very useful as a snapshot of the article, and for note taking, and if to access annotations I need to use Preview or Adobe, I assume I will be opening the file in those apps in the first place.
  • No, you're just misunderstanding the built-in PDF reader. It has its own, built-in extraction feature that's more advanced than Zotfile's. That's why I said there's no use case for that functionality.

Details here: https://www.zotero.org/support/pdf_reader_preview
  • I didn't realise this. Thank you!