MacWord Integration/PythonExt problem with Word 2008 on Snow Leopard

My apologies for hijacking a thread earlier. I admit I don't really know what that means--I thought I was posting in the correct topic area. But here is the problem I have been experiencing. I would also like to preface this by saying that I might have found the solution, but it could also be dumb luck.

I've also had a problem with installing the new MacWord integration plugin for Word 2008 on my Mac.

Snow Leopard came with my laptop and I installed in before installing any version of Zotero. I followed Dan's directions on installing the two files into the Mac HD-->Library-->Python--2.6 directory. Zotero was working fine once I got that squared away, and then a few days later Firefox prompted me to upgrade Zotero. When I opened Word and tried to insert a citation I was getting a notice that the plugin for Office was not compatible with the new version of Zotero. I checked the website and deleted the two files that I had previously installed. I then installed the updated versions of Python and the MacWord Integration plugin.

Zotero is showing up in my script area of Word but it will not do anything (insert citations, bibliography, etc.). Also, when I try to delete and then reinstall any of the plugins like Python (I've tried both 2.5 and 2.6) or the MacWord Integration plugin, I'll get a message on restarting Firefox that says something to the effect of "It appears the MacWord integration plugin has installed successfully, but a necessary component does not appear to be loaded properly. Firefox can attempt to remedy this for you but it will require Firefox to restart". Once I get to this point it simply goes in a loop with the ‘zotero macword integration error” window popping up over and over again telling me that the macword integration installation succeeded, but that the necessary component is missing

Alternatively, I will try to install Python and I get a message saying:
“Zotero MacWord Integration requires PythonExt to run. While Python is currently installed, it appears to be corrupted or incompletely deleted. As such, Firefox Add-on manager may not be able to remove or reinstall it. Would you like Zotero Integration to remove it and restart Firefox?”

This latter message seems to go away after one shot, and where I’m really stuck is with the error that keeps appearing to tell me that a necessary component is missing.

Am I doing something wrong?! I’ve tried putting the two files back into the directory that I initially mentioned to see if that would work but it doesn’t—I still get that initial incompatibility message. Please Help!

I noted above that I might have found a solution. I went into Microsoft User Data-->Word Script Menu Items-->Zotero and deleted everything in that folder. Then I went through the process again of uninstalling and then installing the plugins. I don't know enough about this stuff to be sure that I did the right thing, so I'm worried this problem might resurface randomly. I'd appreciate any help/thoughts.
  • I just went through exactly the same thing, and came to the same conclusion. For some reason, installing the new 2008 plug-in doesn't overwrite the stuff already in the /documents/microsoft user preferences/word script menu items folder.