PDF viewer invert colors shortcut

First of all, congratulations on the PDF viewer, I am absolutely in love with it.

I wanted to make a suggestion to include a new feature, although it might be a bit niche. I used Ubuntu for a long time and I liked that in evince PDF viewer you could invert the colors of the document by pressing "i". My eyes appreciated it when I had to read PDFs at night. Any chance that it could be implemented?

I'm not sure about the real demand for this feature, but I wanted to let it posted in case other users also find it a nice feature to add. In any case, thank you!
  • Why not invert your whole system colors?
  • I am afraid I'm not quite sure what you mean. I'm using a macOS Big Sur, and if I change the "Appearance" under System Preference > General to Dark mode, it does not affect Zotero's PDF Viewer color. Is there a configuration inside Zotero that I'm missing?

Also, the idea I meant was a button/shortcut that could switch back and forth from inverted colors to normal, since white text on black background is nicer to read in the night, but the pictures with inverted color schemes are odd and sometimes you need a quick switch to look at the picture and then switch back to dark background.

I'm guessing that your suggestion means that there is a way of only changing the background and text colors in Zotero's PDF Viewer without affecting the pictures? If so, I would appreciate it if you could point me towards a tutorial, but I of course do not expect you to.
  • Zotero doesn't currently support Dark Mode on macOS, but "Invert colors" is a system accessibility setting in System Preferences → Accessibility → Display, and you can enable a shortcut key for it in Keyboard → Shortcuts → Accessibility. It defaults to Cmd-Option-Ctrl-8 when enabled.
  • Thank you very much! That does solve the problem.
  • @almenal, the dark mode (also in the PDF reader!) has been discussed in a more recent thread:
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/96104/enable-night-mode-pdf-reader-dyslexic-mode-inverted-colors-dark-mode-for-easy-reading

ICYMI, now there is a plugin that allows you to toggle between normal and night modes very easily and elegantly:
    https://github.com/tefkah/zotero-night/releases