Seeing footnote in the visual editor: cross-referencing in subsequent notes and 'paragraph' locator

Hello, all,

Originally I started modifying this style [http://www.zotero.org/styles/spanish-legal] but little by little I've changed quite a lot. I am finishing up a customised style for some friends based on their Law department guidelines, I intend to have it validated at some point once I finish everything I want to do and put it on the repository. So according to the guidelines it is mandatory to include "supra note X" for all references, pointing to the first footnote in which it is mentioned, instead of the much simpler and easier "op. cit." (which is what the original style had already).

So after about one hour of trial and error I think I have what I wanted, but in order to double check I want to see it on the visual editor. Instead of downloading a file and using Word to visualise changes (which is what I have been doing) I wonder if I can set the visual editor to show me footnotes and subsequent footnotes. Similarly, I'd like to have a citation show a "paragraph" as locator instead of the default "pages 244-255". I have not found the option so I am asking here. Thank you
  • edited April 13, 2021
    The visualEditor does not support ibid/subsequent citations (or it's been broken). I always forget.

On the VisualEditor you have a bunch of locators available, page, chapter.
    However, you can specify all available locators in the Zotero Style Editor you can reach via the Cite pane in the preferences. You can also set first, ibid, subsequent there, to test that functionality out.
  • The visual editor can do neither of these things.
    Zotero's built-in (code only) style editor (under "Tools/Developer") allows you to
    a) set up any locator you want and
    b) look at items in different positions, but it doesn't have first-reference-note-number, so you can't test supra. For that, the Word document is indeed the only way to go. (so yes, supra is possible)
  • edited April 13, 2021
    Thank you for your answer, good to know I wasn't doing something silly.
    I have tested "supra" with some other example citations in a Word doc and it works (it seems).

But now I can't for the life of me get "(eds.)" to show as lowercase while keeping the editor surnames in small-caps for "book section" items

link: https://pastebin.com/PRveZa0d

On Zotero's style editor this will show with any "book section" item that has editors. I can't seem to find the issue, could anyone help?
    (I can post this in another thread if needed)

(edit: forgot the pastebin link)
  • That should work and looks normal to me with the editors in small caps and (eds.) in normal lowercase.
  • I should have specified, it is only in the final bibliography that this happens with
    "(EDS.)" in small-caps, or with the singular "(ED.)" at least that is still the case for me in the Zotero buil-in as well as in the CSL Visual Editor.
  • Oh sorry, I missed that -- you want to set the small caps on name not on names
  • edited April 14, 2021
    Thank you so much! It worked. I also solved the same problem with "et al." using one of your contributions to an older thread. I have other questions, but I will introduce them in another thread since they are not really related to this.

[edit: typo]