Disappearing space after "cap."

Dear Community,

I have an issue that's been bugging me for quite a while: when I cite Latin sources without page numbers, I often enter the locator manually as something like: "lib. I, cap. XXI, ยง 5" using protected spaces (ALT+0160) between the labels and the values. The style is set up to just output the locator as I typed it, without any further processing.
In the output, however, the protected space after "cap." disappears, so that the citation reads "cap.XII". This only happens with protected spaces and only after "cap.". A regular space after "cap." seems to work just fine (resulting in unwanted line breaks, however).
What is the reason for this behaviour? Is it because "cap." is recognised as a built-in locator label and therefore treated differently from the other labels? Is there a way to make "cap." work with protected spaces afterwards?
Thanks in advance! Any help would greatly be appreciated!
  • I'd guess that your hunch about the cause is likely correct, though the different behavior with nbsp is puzzling. No easy fix, but would just using a suffix work?
  • Thanks for your reply. I will give it a try and see if it works in all cases. There may be cases, however, where the locator is output in parentheses so that any additional suffix would be added afterwards instead of within the parentheses.