Desktop version crashing: "unable to open database file"

Dear all

I've just installed Zotero desktop (Windows 10 64 bits) in a new laptop and following error was raised when I set up as base directory an external disk for Zotero library

"Error: Error(s) encountered during statement execution: unable to open database file [QUERY: DELETE FROM item TypesCombined] [PARAMS:] [ERROR: unable to open database file]
Zotero.DBConnection.prototype.queryAsync<@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js:669:13
From previous event:
-updateCustomTables@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/schema.js:851:11
Zotero.Schema</this.updateSchema/update<@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/schema.js:198:17

Your support in this is really appreciated!!!

Regards
Maria
  • Check file permissions and security software, but beyond that the best advice we can suggest is to use your local disk for the data directory. External drives should work in general, but they can sometimes act differently from local disks in ways that break Zotero's database access.
  • Thanks for your kind support. You were absolutely right: the external disk was read-only, as soon as the bitlocker was installed the disk behaved read-write and worked like a charm. I will take into account your recommendation to install Zotero on the local disk. Thank you very much again!!!!