Sync error w/ 2b7.1 with WebDAV

Hi Dan,

Have updated to 7.1, but still getting a sync error, and manual sync is unable to resolve the conflict.

[See former post under Report ID: 2055917326 Sync Error w/ two PCs where I previous reported error, and followed your directions to replicate and track, but have yet to get your feedback on a fix, and still having same hang.]

After failing to manually sync, I'm getting a dialog box:

Source item for keyed source doesn't exist in Zotero.Item.getSource() (AC38IKCT)

That forces a restart of foxfire.

When I try to man sync again, it still causes an error, but a different one.

I'm getting a dialog box: (ID# 420886081)

following errors have occured since starting firefox.

Module :15:35:20: Gets class object

Module :15:35:20: [object Object]

Logger :15:35:21: *********** Appender created********

Logger :15:35:21: ***********File Appender Init********

[JavaScript Error: "doc.location is null" {file: "chrome://saff/content/saffplg.js" line: 2476}]

Thanks for your efforts to improve an already very cool tool!

-Jake
  • I'm still trying to resolve the sync issue. Switched to Zotero server from WebDAV. Tried again to man sync and got a new error message.

Report ID # 310873733

Module :0:41:21: Gets class object

Module :0:41:21: [object Object]

Logger :0:41:32: *********** Appender created********

Logger :0:41:32: ***********File Appender Init********

[JavaScript Error: "col.value is null" {file: "chrome://global/content/bindings/tree.xml" line: 1092}]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Unexpected status code 404 in Zotero.Sync.Storage.Session.ZFS._getFileUploadParameters()' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]
  • Hi

I'm having constant errors syncing with beta 7.1 and WebDAV, too.

Error
    "Unexpected status code 404 for request null/N6BZMH8Z in Zotero.Sync.Storage.Session.WebDAV.downloadFile()"

Report ID: 682397391 (and 732297974)

Thank you!
  • Hey,

Also having the exact same issue, report id #414468979

Steven
  • Dan,

As a follow up, the specific file that causes my hang is a local file that can't be found on the remote. I tried to remove the file from the "My Library" on my c drive....removed the entire folder...and removed the item from my library in the left pane in Zotero...but even this didn't correct the issue. Still get the artifact in the man sync as if it still exists locally.

Ideas?

Problem really started for me when I added the 2nd PC to sync to my library.
    I'm thinking of unistalling and reinstalling on both.

Now that we have Group file saving, I'm thinking I could create a second user name for that 2nd machine. I know, not ideal, but a temp patch till we get the bugs out of the My library sync with multiple PCs.

-Jake
  • edited September 21, 2009
    stylebot: That's not the main problem Astrenia is reporting. Please generate debug output for the sync attempt from the Advanced pane of the Zotero prefs, submit it to the server, and post the Debug ID to a new thread. Thanks.

schabot: Based on your error report, yours is not the same issue, so please start a new thread. But first: load your WebDAV server URL in Firefox and, if there's a self-signed certificate, accept it. Alternatively, check your system clock.
  • Astrenia: Can you provide a Debug ID for a sync attempt using 2.0b7.1? Sync code had already sufficiently diverged by the time of your previous post to make debugging difficult.

(Also, no need to start a new thread for the same issue.)
  • Hi Dan

FYI: Version 2.0b7.2 fixed the problem. :-)

Thank you
  • Hi Dan,

Just downloaded 2.0 b7.2 .... still not fixed.

Report ID # 1213218617.
  • I've also tried to both purge deleted storage files and orphan files. Doesn't help.

-Jake
  • Also see Debug / Report ID 757747619

Thanks,
    Jake
  • One note of small improvement with 7.2. Manual sync doesn't resolve the conflict, but at least it doesn't force a restart of foxfire.

-J
  • Tried a few more things.

1) I removed Zotero and reloaded with 7.2, then resync. Same error.
    Again: Source item for keyed source doesn't exist in Zotero.Item.getSource() (AC38IKCT)

2) under preferences>sync>settings: I took sync off manual, to automatic and tried to re-sync. Same error.

3) under preferences>sync>reset: I tried Reset File Sync History. and then re-sync. Same error.

4) under preferences>sync>reset: I selected the reset button.

On dialog box: "The local Zotero library will be completely merged with data belonging to user 'Astrenia' on the Zotero server. Any unsynced changes will appear as conflicts.
    This option should generally be used only for troubleshooting sync errors."

I selected Sync. The made some change (conflicted records went from 14 down to the original 2) but still lead to the same error.

Unexpected status code 404 in Zotero.sync.storage.sessions.ZFS._getFileUploadParameters()

Debug 1350855977.
  • If you remember back when this error started, it occurred on my 1st pc only after I added a 2nd pc to access My Library. Both PCs reported the same error on sync.

I just also updated the 2nd PC to 7.2. That apparently cleared this error on the 2nd PC.

I tried it again on the 1st PC and still getting the error.
  • I'm noting on the manu sync page, in the first record, there is no "Choose this version" button. In the first record, the only field missing it the publication title in the local object. It is fine on the remote object. I selected the remote object (text turns red and changes the merged.)

When I hit "next", that is when the error starts. Occurs when the 2nd record starts to load.

In the upper left pane, it reports

Local Object
    Dworkin....
    Filename:...
    Modified:....

and that is all in the left pane.

The center pane and the right pane seem to be left over from the previous record.
    And at the bottom...for the first time...is the "Choose this version" button.

I previously thought it was an error with this second record, I have stripped it from both My libraries. And why it no longer exists locally, it still reports a conflict with the Sept 10th version.
  • edited September 25, 2009
    Astrenia: Didn't really follow all of that, but if you're still getting the "Source item for keyed source doesn't exist in Zotero.Item.getSource()" error, please generate debug output for the sync attempt from the Advanced pane of the Zotero prefs, submit it to the server, and post the Debug ID here. A Report ID is not the same as a Debug ID.

Once you've done that, you might try emptying your trash, if you've really deleted the item in question.
  • I have now also removed the first offending record from the sync conflict list. So now both records have been removed from both PCs, as well as from the Zotero Server.

I tried to point the 1st PC sync back to my WedDAV account. Resync yields same error.
    Note it did not give me the option to purge files from Zotero server, as the 2nd PC did.

Also, I am now noting the file architecture in the left pane for the two PCs are different.
  • Specifically, it is the My Library file architecture that is different on the two PC. My Group is the same.

I have reassociated My Library on the 2nd PC to my WebDAV. This lead to a conflict resolution on the 2nd PC, but I was able to move through that without error. One of the files in conflict on the 2nd PC was the 2nd record causing the error on the 1st PC.

So as it seems resolved in the 2nd PC, I tried to purge orphans & deleted, and again resent sync history. Same error.
  • Ugg... well. for completeness, here is the error log from the 2nd PC.

The Debug ID is D427766677.
  • Report ID 40266836 (on 2nd PC)
  • Am getting a "server returned an error" message when trying to send the Debug outpot of the 1st affected system. Likely due to 418991 lines logged!

I'll clear the debug logs of both PCs and try to replicate errors and resend
  • OK cleared debug log.

replicated 404 error on 1st PC. Report ID 223085261

The Debug ID is D1498545024.

Hope all this helps.

-Jake
  • OK, the "Source item for keyed source doesn't exist in Zotero.Item.getSource()" error should now be fixed in the latest dev build, and the fix will be included in 2.0b7.3. In the meantime, performing a Full Sync from the Sync->Reset pane of the Zotero prefs should be an equivalent fix.
  • Thanks. I agree it should have been a fix, but it wasn't. Someplace some local object was preventing this to clear. Makes me wonder if in the uninstall zotero routine if it truly removes all associated zotero files...
  • edited September 27, 2009
    Huh? What "uninstall zotero routine"? I didn't say anything about uninstalling Zotero.

We did fix one cause of "Source item for keyed source doesn't exist in Zotero.Item.getSource()", but I see now in your debug output that Zotero was already doing a full sync when it hit that error, so we'll have to take another look at your issue.
  • Sorry...after the above long play by play...and after trying everything I could think of ... I tried the scorched earth approach.

Yep, I unistalled zotero, removed My Library manually from my C drive of my 1st PC, and wiped my WebDAV, and even that didn't clear the conflict on my first PC. (Which is weird as I was getting a clear sync to my 2nd PC on the zotero server and the WebDAV.) (Even loaded and deleted it a second time with no better luck).

It was not until I deleted it a third time AND uninstalled /reinstalled FOXFIRE and then reinstalled zotero, etc, did I finally get the 1st PC to clear sync. And yes, I did the full sync on reset...multiple times.

I forced the sync by uploading from my 2nd PC to the Zotero server, then down to the 1st PC which was the first time I was able to get a clean sync on the 1st PC in two weeks. Then from the 1st PC I synced back with the My Lib files to the WebDAV and from the WebDAV back down to the 2nd PC. clear all around. Problem solved.

So again, just as the Full Sync didn't clear...and even uninstalling /reinstalling zotero on the 1st PC, getting a clean sync with zotero on the 2nd PC, and clearing all the files out of the WebDAV didn't clear the conflict. I'm wondering if some local log file was to blame for the conflict ghost... and such file must be outside of the list of files deleted when I twice directed foxfire to delete zotero. But as I directed my Lib to save within my foxfire folder, and even deleted that entire folder before reloading, that is likely when I killed the ghost.

It's possible this is not an issue going forward, as the sync error first occurred on a version pre 2B7.1.
  • As I said to you on another thread, "Full Sync" is not the same as "Restore from Server". (The sync troubleshooting page also explains both, for what it's worth.)

I suggested a "Full Sync" above, and then I noted that, upon closer examination, it wouldn't actually solve your problem and that a proper fix would be forthcoming.

"Restore from Server" would have fixed it, as it simply wipes out the entire Zotero database on disk, but I didn't recommend that in case you had important local changes.

None of the other steps you took—uninstalling Firefox, uninstalling Zotero, doing anything related to WebDAV—were necessary or would be expected to work, as they don't remove any existing Zotero metadata. (I would've been happy to tell you this had you asked.)

Anyhow, glad it's working for you now. The underlying issue will be fixed in 2.0b7.3.
  • Me too. We are excited by your project.

Still, I'm 99.9% confident I tried the "Restore from Server" as well as the "Full Sync" - multiple times - as I had nothing to lose. Looking and my hand written notes I took while working, and went though all five options on the reset page. Most more than once.

I suspect some local object or log file (which had a hang and was a previous version) was in conflict with the new version remote objects.

Whatever the error was, it's gone now. 'nuff said.