Transferring an already-created bibliography to EndNote

Hi All,

Sorry if this has already been discussed. I couldn't find the relevant discussion.

I just finished writing an article with about 200 references. My colleague needs to insert my text into a book, but she is using EndNote. I want to transfer the bibliography from Word (which I used for the article) to a folder, keeping the references in the same order as in the text. Then I would like to export the folder to EndNote format.

However, I am unable to work with my bibliography using the Word plug in. I see it when I use "add/edit bibliography", but can't transfer it into a folder in Zotero.

Is there a way to do this so that I don't have to transfer each reference separately in Zotero (which would also remove the ordering)?

Thanks so much,
Elizabeth
  • You can certainly export items from your library to a format Endnote can import, but there isn’t any way to convert the live citations in Word from Zotero to Endnote. They are completely different citation systems.

I suggest you have your colleague insert citations into the document as word comments (eg, with the item DOI) and you can insert them with Zotero yourself at the end.
  • Thank you.

It is a pity that one cannot take a list of live citations in Word, and save the list as a collection in Zotero. This is the main issue. Once the bibliography is saved as a collection in Zotero, exporting is not a problem. I just wish that I could take my list of references and do something with it!

I think what is going to happen is that I will send my entire Zotero library to my colleague in a format that EndNote can read. Then, she will have to go through the text and add the references using EndNote.

Thanks again.
  • Putting the references you HAVE cited into a group is possible. Then you can at least export them for your colleague.
    https://rintze.zelle.me/ref-extractor/
  • YES! This is exactly what I was looking for. Giving it a try now. Thanks!
  • My point was that after exporting those items to Endnote, they aren’t connected to your word document at all. Your colleague would need to re-insert all of the citations into the document from Endnote to get a complete bibliography.
  • Yes indeed, bwiernik. My colleague explained to me this aspect (that I didn't understand earlier). She is indeed doing just that. I imagine she will have a not-very-fun weekend!
    Thanks a lot.