Integrating Zotero and custom word templates

Hi, my organisation uses custom Word templates for its documents. This includes a particular add-in for footnotes, which appear with different spacing, font size, etc, to the standard Word footnote. When using Zotero to 'Add/Edit' a citation, it inserts it so it appears as a normal default Word footnote would, in terms of the spacing, font size etc., rather than our custom footnote. I would like to know if it is possible to change how Zotero's 'Add/Edit Citation' functionality works to match our custom templates?

I have tried using Word's format painter but it does not seem to match the customised footnote (I tried that with citations both linked and unlinked via Zotero).
I wonder if this is to do with the customised 'Styles' created for this word template?
Perhaps it is possible to do this by coding a customised referencing style within Zotero, but this seems like a heavy-handed solution?

Many thanks for any pointers anyone could provide
  • Zotero sets its footnotes to the "Footnote" style in Word. The code that does this is in a compiled binary library, so there's no easy way to modify it via a plugin or similar. Your best approach would be to modify your custom Word templates to change the default "Footnote" style to the styling you need instead of creating a new footnote style.
  • I see. Yes, that sounds like the way forward. Many thanks for your help!