Batch editing publication title to insert year

Hello,

I am trying to run JS to insert the 'date' field into all 'publicationTitle' fields, so that each item title would be immediately preceded by what is currently in the date field. I am having trouble working out the code - what would oldValue be if I want whatever is currently in the 'publicationTitle' field to remain there, but be preceded by whatever is in 'date' field?

probably not surprisingly this didn't work

var fieldName = "publicationTitle";
var oldValue = "publicationTitle";
var newValue = "date""publicationTitle";

Thanks very much in advance,
ashlee
  • Could we step back and ask why you'd want to do this? It's definitely not something that Zotero's citation styles would expect, e.g., so you'd be essentially breaking a lot of functionality.
  • I am importing the citations and files into Nvivo, and when doing so by RIS Nvivo names the files by what is in the publication title field. I am working on a longitudinal study in which this is the best way to organise data chronologically in Nvivo (the files I am working with have full dates in the date field). My intention would be to change this back for citation purposes.
  • I would recommend against doing it that way. Instead, I would suggest putting that combined value into Extra and then post-editing the RIS file after export.
  • Thanks for the suggestion - are you able to provide any further detail on how to do that? Thanks very much in advance!
  • Post-editing the RIS file unfortunately doesn't seem feasible unless I am missing something since the documents are numbered in the thousands, which is why I was looking to batch edit them in zotero. Any tips appreciated, Nvivo have only suggested manually editing the file titles in Nvivo which again given the volume is not feasible.