Zotero does still change name of pdf - after canceling it in the settings

Zotero does still change name of pdf - after canceling it in the settings.

Settings -> General: (translation form the german version)

- automatic snapshot: YES
- automatically store the pd: YES
- automatically metadata for pdf: NO
- automatically attached pdf rename using metadata: NO

Why still the change of the name?
(I don't want to discuss my reasons why I want it like that. I have them)
  • Do you have ZotFile installed? That has separate renaming rules. And are those linked or attached files?
  • No. I did delete the file in zotero. Renamed the copy on the desktop and put it back with the mouse. Zot Connector is installed.
  • Sorry, I don't understand the workflow. Could you run us through the exact steps you're performing and where & when you're seeing the filename change?

Generally speaking, Zotero doesn't rename files with that preference unchecked, but it's possible there's a scenario that's not properly covered.

And just to be clear -- the "no" referred to having ZotFile installed? No other add-ons, either?
  • I use only Zotero.app on my mac.

I go to the Settings -> General: (translation form the german version)

- automatic snapshot: YES
    - automatically store the pd: YES
    - automatically metadata for pdf: NO
    - automatically attached pdf rename using metadata: NO

I make a copy of a pdf which is an attachement to an entry in Zotero.APP. I delete the attachement. I take the copy which is on the desktop of the mac and drag it with the mouse to the entry. O the desktop it has the name I choose, as an attachement then in zotero.app it has an other name.

I want the name of the pdf to be the one I choose.

Is this clear enough? I tried it again. Same effect. I just cannot show the screenshots.
  • Yeah, if you could take a screenshot and upload it on a free image hosting site (imgur.com, dropbox, etc.) and link to it here, that'd be helpful. Definitely doesn't happen for me.
  • edited March 24, 2021
  • I really do not know how to explain better or more.

No problem with Zotero.app because it' s not to be communicated?

I think, I did really describe every single step already. Ok - now you have also the screenshots. I'm sure, there are more questions I must answer
  • That's not a shared link from Dropbox. You'd need to explicitly share it there.
  • I have not drop box professional.

ok - i cannot communicate the link

you do not understand all I have written above and I do not understand why you do not understand. Every single stepp described ... for nothing.

No idea what to describe more I you go through it, stepp by stepp it should be clear.
  • If you want help, you need to provide screenshots. Any free file-sharing site would work — Dropbox, Google Drive, imgur.com, etc. You don't need to pay.
  • @AlexBauert: Could we also see a Debug ID for the operation that's doing this?
  • oh - that's obligatory - super - I think to pay 20 $ for Zotero storage was wasting money.

first learn to deal with dropbox - then you get - maybe - help

that's the concept? wow

you do not read texts, only look on pictures? sorry - i can't imagine something like that
  • a debug ID????

I do not know what this can be .... wow what else more?
  • https://www.zotero.org/support/forum_guidelines#etiquette

Read through the above link carefully before posting here again.

We can't reproduce the problem you're describing, so we're asking for information that will let us help you. We've explained that you can provide screenshots via any free file-sharing site, and I provided a link to instructions for providing a Debug ID. If you can't follow basic instructions, you're going to have to get help elsewhere.
  • you mean - repeat all this again? did you read one time this text????

«I make a copy of a pdf which is an attachement to an entry in Zotero.APP. I delete the attachement. I take the copy which is on the desktop of the mac and drag it with the mouse to the entry. O the desktop it has the name I choose, as an attachement then in zotero.app it has an other name.

I want the name of the pdf to be the one I choose.»
  • All right, not going to have you waste any more of anyone's time. Further posts of yours will be blocked until you provide the information we've requested.
This discussion has been closed.