Feature request & some erratic behaviour when creating note

2.0b7 is impressive; kudos for the last update – its speed and looks (I’m on Mac) have become delightful; also very much appreciate the ‘standalone’ option in fullscreen via the bookmarks-bar and shift-click.

I have two feature requests.
One: allow for adding a manual link in the attachment context-menue as a fifth option; I would like to paste direct links to files stored in my Devonthink database on my HD. DT exports these links (I wrote about it in the wrong thread a little while ago) and I currently paste them in the note section, but they really ought to go into the attachment part. This is currently not possible with the 4 options. While I'm at it: If there is chance that the handling of pasteboard types for links is changed so that additional information coming with the link is not lost (e.g. its title) this would be great. (Currently any link from DT I paste into Zotero looks like "x-devonthink-item://98D4138F-63F7-4A7E" instead of simply "Metanoia" – as it does in TextEdit for example).

Two: I miss the option to create a parent from selected entry when the latter is an unattached pdf within Zotero.

I also encounter what seems erratic behaviour with creating a note. This happens when using the search field (say with three letters) to get to any target entry. Once there, I right-click and choose the option to add a note. If I do just this, my intital search-string disappears from the field, the note gets created, the main entry closes up together with its new empty note, the screen is being redrawn and I am back in my whole and unfiltered library. To continue with my note I now have to rifle through all my stuff, find my target entry a second time, open it, select the empty note to finally start typing. (This only happens if this procedure starts with a search). I would expect a freshly created note to stay open an allow text entry – rather than closing down my search and collapsing my target entry together with its new note.

Zotero has dramatically changed my workflow and filehandling in the last months; my points above seem trivial compared to what a relief Z has brought overall.
  • edited September 18, 2009
    If there is chance that the handling of pasteboard types for links is changed so that additional information coming with the link is not lost (e.g. its title) this would be great.
    Ticket created.
    Two: I miss the option to create a parent from selected entry when the latter is an unattached pdf within Zotero.
    Miss? Retrieve Metadata for PDF should still be an option.
    Once there, I right-click and choose the option to add a note. If I do just this, my intital search-string disappears from the field, the note gets created, the main entry closes up together with its new empty note, the screen is being redrawn and I am back in my whole and unfiltered library.
    Ticket created. Thanks.
  • edited September 18, 2009
    Miss? Retrieve Metadata for PDF should still be an option.
    I think missing doesn't refer to something that existed in the past here - where "retrieve" isn't working the workflow as of now is still: create new item -> drag pdf to new parent item.
    Which I think we all agree is a bit clumsy.
    I don't have time to search right now, but there are a whole bunch of threads discussing this, including proposing various solutions.
  • Right. That will be addressed.
  • Just wonder whether there are any news regarding andylin's and my suggestion of adding the further option of a manual link in the "Add attachment" context menu. Currently there are (i) "add snapshot", (ii) "Link to current page", (iii) "Attach stored copy of file..." and (iv) "Attach link to file". It would be very handy to have the possibility to create a manual link to files say in OneNote's (in his case) or in DevonThink's database (my case) from a Zotero entry. The current setup does only allow attaching or linking (a) a discrete file on my hardrive or (b)
    attaching a snapshot of or linking to the current webpage – i.e. if I want to link to something other than (a) or (b) I have to do so by creating a note and then paste the link into the note. This is possible and what I currently do but feel would be handled more elegantly by a fifth option in the "Add attachment" context menu.
    Thanks for giving this some thought.
  • Hi. Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't "attach stored copy of file" allow us to (a) link to any file on the hard drive -- right?
  • edited June 16, 2011
    Yes, you are missing something - kithairon doesn't want to link to a file, but to an item stored in a note taking program - just like you can link to a Zotero item in your browser bar - that looks something like this
    zotero://report/items/0_ET4STR6Q/html/report.html
    (this won't work for you - it's for an item in my db) you can link to an item in oneNote or devonthink using a similar protocoll - I don't know exactly how they look, but it's going to be something like:
    onenote://item/itemid/note.html
    Since that's not an actual file stored anywhere, you can't link to it w/o the ability to add a link manually.
    Anything more about this please move this to the other thread, which also has the virtue that it hasn't been dead for a year and a half.
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/8188/attachment-add-link-to-any-url-not-current-page/#Item_11

or to the thread you started on the same thing with evernote: http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/18406/evernote-links-enable-them-within-zotero/#Item_6
    you actually seem to want exactly the same thing...