Tagging issue

I am trying to add tags to articles in one of my folders. As soon as I hit enter after typing in the tag, the article dissapears from the folder and can be found in the "unfiled items" section. I have tried restarting my computer, troubleshooting, and reinstalling Zotero. However, the same issue keeps happening. What should I do to stop this from happening?
  • Can you provide a Debug ID for this happening?
  • I don't see any indication that that item existed in a collection before your edit — no edit was made to the database to remove it from a collection.

Can you reproduce this after adding an item to a collection? If so, can you provide a Debug ID that shows the full process, including adding the item to the collection?

Otherwise, we'd want to see a screen recording that shows this happening. You can upload them somewhere (Dropbox, Google Drive) and provide a link here or email it to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread.
  • Hi! I made a screen recording and provided a link below. In the recording, once I add a tag to the article, it dissapears from the "A2 New" folder.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Ogtzld-xoi_BYfSzoN4mtA_yBB6XYhZ9?usp=sharing
  • That's not a collection — it's a saved search (and presumably one that doesn't match the item after you change it).

The item would already show up in Unfiled Items if it's not in that one existing collection.
  • Ok, thank you. Why would this be happening on my desktop but not other desktops? Others have been able to add tags to articles in the saved search without the articles moving to other locations.
  • Again, it's not "moving" anywhere — it's just no longer matching the search after you edit it. It would be the same on all computers.

Double-click on the search and look at the search conditions. If there's a search condition for [is not] [the tag you're adding], it's going to disappear from the search as soon as you add that tag.
  • edited March 19, 2021
    Great, thank you for explaining this! We were able to reimport the articles as a collection instead of a saved search.
  • Just to clarify here, this wouldn't be something you would "reimport" — that would create duplicates in your library. The saved search is something someone in your library created, not something that came from importing. If you want the items in a collection, all you would need to do is drag the items from the search to a collection.