Zotero.app does not delete pdf

Hi
Zotero-storage informed me to have more than 300 MB.

I deleted 200 MB on Zotero.app.
All I have deleted did not disappear from the storage folder.
Storage remined at 92.4 % on the web-Zotero.

I did empty trash of zotero.app. No effect.
Now I deleted most of the 20 pdf I did delete in zotero.app in the Zotero-storage-folder.
No effect.

I stopped synchronization of the pdf with zotero-web. Now storage at 0 MB.
I changed back on sychronization. No synchronization occurs.

What is going wrong?

thanks for ideas
Alex Bauert
  • Not really sure what you mean here.

Your storage usage shown online can take a few minutes to update after you delete things. It sounds like maybe that's all you were seeing.

I don't know what you mean by "I stopped synchronization of the pdf with zotero-web. Now storage at 0 MB." Storage would be at 0 if you 1) deleted all files or 2) used the "Purge Storage in My Library" button online, which you certainly shouldn't do in normal usage. If you're saying you did that, you'll need to use Reset File Sync History from the Sync → Reset pane of the Zotero preferences.
  • Thx for your answer.

Ok. My english is bad. I try again:

I go to the settings> synchronization.
    There I stopped sychronization of the pdf.

I hoped that the web version «takes note» of it. I mean that after this, nothing should be in web version.
    This was the case.
    then I went back to settings > synchronization.
    I clicked on «do synchronize the attachements» (I have the german version. So this text is not original and is not what one finds in the app with english as the language).

Now I suppose the attached pdf should be synchronized again with the web version. But nothing happens.

Now I did what you proposed and no attachement in the web. I can download them, but then it is not the same pdf I worked on. If I work on it, I'll not see anything in the pdf in zotero.app

• You can just post in German.

Disabling syncing in the desktop app has absolutely no effect on the online version. All it does is disable syncing. Everything online stays online. So no, the web version did not "take note" of that.

And again, the only way you would end up using 0 MB online is if you either deleted the attachment items or used "Purge Storage in My Library".
    Now I did what you proposed and no attachement in the web. I can download them, but then it is not the same pdf I worked on.
    I don't really know what you mean by this either. If you previously used Purge Storage in My Library and then did Reset File Sync History as I said, all that would do is upload the local versions of your files to the web. Nothing we've discussed involves overwriting the local versions of files.
  • Besser auf Deutsch.

Also. Jetzt werden die pdf mit «Statthalter» unter «Attachement» auf der Website angegeben, d.h. ich könnte die via Website runterladen, aber dann landen die im Download-Ordner und sind nicht verwertbar. Wenn ich was reinschreibe, also in die pdf oder was markiere, habe ich nix davon. Nur zugänglich ist wertlos. Oder ist das etwa der Normalfall mit Zotero auf der Website?
  • NB: Jetzt sind wieder 127 MB hochgeladen sehe ich gerade unter Storage. Ich sehe jedoch keine direkt zugänglichen pdf.
  • That's just your browser setting. I would strongly recommend setting your browser to just preview PDFs in the browser, which is the default in all browsers.

If you want to annotate, you need to do that on the PDF file stored in Zotero, not one from the web library. Currently you're just downloading a copy of a file to your computer, which has no connection to Zotero whatsoever.
  • wow - that's pretty bad ... at least, I know it now. Big difference to Endnote

I must evaluate to change
  • I don't know what you mean by that. The primary way you work with Zotero is by using the Zotero app — that's always been the case. There's also now an iOS app in beta, which also supports annotations.

Some future version of the web library might support annotations, but that wouldn't happen anytime soon, and it's far from a priority, because the desktop app is the main way to use Zotero, and there will always be lots of functionality that's not possible on the web.
  • nice to know ... just a bit late for me.
    The price for 2 GB per year may be ok. But the rest is .......... 120 $ for some GB? I'm soon at 35 GB.
This discussion has been closed.