Zotfile not downloading

I just installed the latest version of Zotero and then tried to download Zotfile. I got a message that it couldn't be installed because "it may not be compatible with this version of Zotero." Can someone enlighten me? Is this true?
  • If you're really running the latest version of Zotero, your ZotFile download might be corrupted. Try downloading from a different browser.
  • Thank you -- Firefox wouldn't download it, but Safari asked my permission to download from GitHub and that worked.
  • edited July 26, 2021
    @JHHbks: That's a different issue. In Firefox you have to right-click and use "Save Link As…" (which the ZotFile page says if you hover over the download link) to prevent it from trying to install the XPI itself. (Zotero is based on Firefox technology, but a Zotero extension won't work in Firefox.)
  • Thanks for the explanation; didn't hover long enough.

Wish they'd just provided the info about right click without having to hang around an extra nanosecond or two to see it. Instead, I spent at least 15 loooonnggg minutes looking for how to do it.

Now downloaded and installed. Next up: learning how to use it with DevonThink. And like the idea of extracting annotations.
  • edited July 26, 2021
    (Yeah I don't know why it's buried on hover. Should just show up when browsing from Firefox. In any case, the future plan is to change Zotero extensions to use a different file type so that Firefox doesn't try to install them.)