2.0b7.1 -- Cannot sync attachments

Trying to use 2.0b7.1 to sync attachments, I am getting the "attached file could not be found" problem. I sync everything from computer A, but I cannot pick up the attachments on computer B. They appear in the middle pane of the Zotero UI, but it seems the files have not been downloaded or something.

I've tried various "Reset" options on both computers, trying to erase everything from the server, etc. No change.

Once while doing this, I was syncing from the source machine that has all of the files, and I got a sync error. The next time I sync'd, though, there was no error. Maybe a transient problem? The bug report number is 202070450, if anybody wants to check.

What should I try next?
  • Do you have file syncing enabled in the Sync pane of the Zotero preferences? If so, what mode?
  • On both computers, I have: "Sync automatically" turned off, "Sync attachments in My Library using WebDAV" turned on, and "Sync attachments in group libraries using Zotero File Storage" turned off. Also, I can verify my WebDAV server on both machines.

I assume these settings mean that all my notes and metadata go into ZFS, while my attachments go into the WebDAV server, and that syncing happens only when I click on the button in the UI.
  • Try Reset File Sync History in the Sync->Reset pane of the prefs on Computer A.

If this doesn't work, reset it again and generate debug output for the sync attempt from the Advanced pane of the prefs, submit it to the server, and post the Debug ID here.
  • OK. Tried again. No luck. I assume you mean generate debug output on computer A, the one trying to publish everything to the servers (if I've misunderstood, I can easily do computer B).

I reset the file history, then enabled debug logging, then clicked on the sync button. The debug ID is D909831169.

Thanks for your help.
  • It appears to have attempted to upload seven files, but all seven already existed unchanged on the WebDAV server.

Do you have more files than that?
  • There are seven attachments in "My Library" and two more in one of Group Libraries.

I see now that the attachments in "My Library" seemed to sync properly, and that I can pick them up on computer B. However, the two attachments in the group library (the ones I want to share with a colleague) did not sync.

I've been assuming that if I configure a WebDAV server, I can sync my group library attachments there... or... now I'm wondering... is that not the way Zotero works at the moment?
  • You can currently only sync group files via Zotero File Storage.
  • OK. Are there plans to change this?

What is WebDAV support for?
  • We may offer WebDAV support for group libraries down the line, but our first priority is creating the best user experience possible, which is why we built Zotero File Storage. See the Storage FAQ for more information.

You can still sync files in your personal library via WebDAV if you prefer.
  • OK. One more question, if you don't mind...

From the storage FAQ, it sounds like the metadata in my personal library is always going into ZFS no matter what, and if I set up WebDAV, it only holds my attachments. Is that correct?

Next, a few comments.

Since I'm already paying for the server where I set up my WebDAV and since I've got > 1 GB of attachments, I was kind of hoping to use that instead of paying for ZFS too. Scanning the Zotero forums, I see now that a number of other users have asked for WebDAV support for group libraries. So, I guess I'll add my vote in with theirs.

All the Zotero site features are quite nice, I should add. In terms of user experience, it was very intuitive to set up a group. ZFS seems to be working nicely there.

I'm assuming that if you provided WebDAV support for group libraries, it would add a little more complexity to the Zotero server application. If this extra functionality meant trading off some features (e.g., if I use WebDAV for a group library, I don't get the full web-based UI at zotero.org), I for one would be perfectly fine with that.

Thanks.