2.0b7 Mac OS X - interface blues

the toolbar redesign in b7 to match Mac OS X feels like a big step backwards to me: I can barely see the icons for all the visual noise introduced by the toolbar button borders... the icons are simply not visually differentiated, both from each other and from the toolbar colour.. the pre 2.0b7 look was, at least, consistent across platforms (I have a Mac and a PC)
  • We're going to try to group some of the buttons together (similar to the back/forward buttons in the (small-icon-mode) Firefox toolbar and the Mail.app toolbar), which should help with visibility.
  • that might. i suspect you'll also need to increase icon contrast (the current icons had sufficient contrast with a white background, but with the new gray, they're kind of... fuzzy)

another gripe: the up/down resize border on the top of the zotero window is really thin (perhaps a couple of pixels) and easy to miss. was kinda frustrating trying to resize the window on a laptop's trackpad.
  • another gripe: the up/down resize border on the top of the zotero window is really thin
    Yes, we're aware of this issue.
  • the pre 2.0b7 look was, at least, consistent across platforms (I have a Mac and a PC)
    I have both Mac(s) and PC(s) too :) And I personally prefer Mac software looking like a Mac software, even if it is cross plattform: You cannot have full look-and-feel consistency across plattforms, and the plattform specific look-and-feel on each plattform, too.

And I personally have no problems "reading" the new icons. At least on my big external monitor. However, on the own monitor of my MacBook, which is smaller and the contrast is not that good, the icons visibility does suffer somewhat.
  • I give my vote on the previous design too. I have a smaller screen, and now zotero's top bar with the enlarged buttons takes away a considerable amount of space (silly me, tried to improve the issue with changing Firefox themes...).
    I also have trouble with the re-size borders, not only on the top, within zotero's window too.
    Other than that, I don't mind the changes in the button organization, it is just a matter of time getting used to it again.
    Thanks for the great work Zotero Team!