Feature Request: ‘Additional Text’ field

I often want to add some additional text (explanation, comment, note) to a citation. I use this to indicate catalogues of exhibitions, or translations or original books.

Examples
• Gale, Matthew, and Renato Miracco, Beyond Painting: Burri, Fontana, Manzoni catalogue of an exhibition at Tate Modern 12 March 2005 to 28 February 2006, in collaboration with the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. (London: Tate Publishing, 2005)
• Grohmann, Will, Willi Baumeister: Life and Work, trans. by Robert Allen, official English translation of the German original “Willi Baumeister. Leben und Werk” (London: Thames and Hudson, 1960)

There is no field in Zotero for the text “catalogue of an exhibition…” or “translation of…”. My present workaround is to use the Series field, simply because it puts the text in the right place.
However:
1. The Series field is capitalised according to the citation standard in use and the language of the item. I get around this by setting the language to ‘zxx’ (unspecified or mixed) and manually capitalising the Title field.
2. If the citation is also part of a series then I have to put that in the Series field as well as the additional text, manually capitalised.
3. The Series field edit box is small, so not suitable for a long text such as “Catalogue of an exhibition at the Annely Juda Fine Art Gallery, London, 6 July to 8 September 1972; Galerie Liatowitsch, Basel, 20 September to 26 October 1972; and Galleria Milano,Milan, 14 November to 30 December 1972”. Therefore, I have to prepare the text in a temporary WORD document, then paste it into the Series field.
The solution is to have a separate Additional Text field, which appears after the Series field in citations and is not capitalised. Its edit box should be of a similar size to that for abstracts.

• In the CSL context we've talked about using annotation for this (Which you can access via Zotero's Extra field Annotation: Text currently, though it's not used in any citation style), but your examples also show the difficulty of doing this: where exactly the additional text would be added is going to be complicated and likely depend on the nature of the text. In your two examples it's before the publishing information, but it seems very tricky to get this right in relationship to other elements like edition, series, etc.

I wouldn't expect any updates on this any time soon, to be honest. Of the issues you raise, I think 3. is the most easily solvable: I think having more fields that behave better with longer titles should be feasible (but it's also not a part of Zotero I've ever worked on at all, so that's easy to say for me...)
  • @adamsmith CSL doesn’t have an annotation field, I think you mean ‘annote’?
    Annote: Supplemented text.

One important thing to bear in mind is that CSL differs a lot from BibTeX in this respect. CSL strongly discourages style-specific data entry and encourages using proper CSL variables instead. Detailed handling of item relations like original versions is planned as part of CSL 1.1 and 1.2–for now, I would suggest using the “original-title” field, perhaps storing “translation” in the “genre” field. All of these can be entered through Extra.
  • yes, I meant annote, sorry
  • The current APA style also uses ‘references’ to refer to other editions or related works.
  • I do not understand the technical discussion about CSL.

I did try the Extra field with MHRA 3 and it is not used, whether or not I put "Annote:" (or "Annotate:") in the field.
  • As I said -- it's not implemented in any style and likely it won't be. It's technically possible if you want to work with a custom version of the style.
  • OK. I'll carry on using the Series field then. Cheers.