Audiovisual Citation Sytle - Suggestions for AV media?

I work in film, and was searching for a good way to refer to content that is actually digital media. Several forum posters have referred to difficulties in precisely citing content in spoken lectures, videos, and film. I don't mean journals that refer to studies of this content (I found only one relevant example in the Github repository), but the actual content itself.

In the interest of starting a discussion or feature request about this topic for Zotero developers, I'd like to point to a document from learningonscreen.ac.uk, "...GUIDELINES FOR REFERENCING MOVING IMAGE AND SOUND" which I found useful (although perhaps limited in the area of short-format or music video). I'm not associated with them in any way.

I could be missing something here, but I do think their document may be a useful starting point for a discussion of how a citation style for new media might look, which is different from the content styles currently available in Zotero. APA 7, the closest relevant citation style, covers some media types. But, confusing the transmission channel with the content is still common (references to TV Broadcast, Film) - increasingly, all digital media is moving to VOD streaming services, and the playback device, place and medium is becoming less relevant. The actual content warrants the citation, not just when it aired.

I'm not sure if the forum allows links, but here is the PDF: bufvc.ac.uk/projects-research/avcitation

Comments welcome!
  • This isn’t really a question for Zotero but about citation practices. The Zotero APA style for example closely follows the APA manual guidelines for media citations. If you don’t care those guidelines, that is more a question for the publication outlets you work with to adopt a citation style more to your liking.

If there is a style you’d like to use that isn’t part of Zotero’s style repository, see here for how to request it. https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/blob/master/REQUESTING.md