Index PDF's to Zotero library?

I added a bunch of PDF's to Zotero by dragging them into the library.

Now whenever I click on those PDF's in Zotero it gives me the error message that it cannot locate the file.

If I look in the Zotero directory, Zotero has empty folders where the actual PDF's should be. But no PDF's.

I suspect something went wrong while importing them? I'm used to Zotero just magically making a copy or whatever?

My question is: I still have all of the existing PDF's in a folder on my desktop. Is there any way to get Zotero to know to look in my desktop instead? I don't have any PDF's elsewhere, so if it only looked there that would be fine. Although ideally, it would just index them.
  • You're looking on the same computer on which you dragged the PDF to Zotero, right?

In that case, something is definitely not working as expected. As you rightly remember, Zotero would just store a copy of a file you drag to it. Does this error still occur? If you drag one of those PDFs to Zotero, are you still seeing the same?
    If so, a debug ID for debug output that covers exactly that operation would be helpful: https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output