Citing CD-booklets/liner notes in Zotero (APA 7)

edited February 10, 2021
Hi!

I guess this is first of all an APA-question, then a Zotero question, so please let me know if it does not belong here.

Does anyone have an idea on how one can cite text from CD-booklets according to APA 7, and how one might create the reference in Zotero?

For example the booklet accompanying https://musicbrainz.org/release/428179c3-c808-47d4-96da-65d1454642d4

where Walter Reiter have written an introduction.

I stumbled upon one possible solution, that kind of makes sense to me. The question is how to recreate [CD] in Zotero without italicizing it.

(Reiter, 2002).

Reiter, W. (2002). [Liner notes]. In The mystery sonatas [CD]. Signum Records.

Or perhaps:

Reiter, W. (2002). The mystery sonatas [Liner notes]. In The mystery sonatas [CD]. Signum Records.

("The mystery sonatas" being in italic).
  • I would suggest treating this similar to citing forewords in an authored book which, per a strict reading of the APA manual, is just cited in the bibliography as the whole book.

So, I would cite the album and refer to liner notes in text, the same way you would a page number.

(Biber, 2002, liner notes) or “as stated in the liner notes by Reiter (Biber, 2002)”

Then cite the whole album in the bibliography. Enter that as Audio Recording. Enter Reiter as the performer, Biber as the composer, and “Album” as the Format (note that APA no longer refers to the physical recording medium like CD). Enter 2002 as the Date and Signum as the Studio. If desired, enter the original composition dates for the sonatas in Extra like this:
    Original date: 1720/1740

(Here this means a date range beginning in 1720 and ending in 1740.)
  • Thank you very much for your suggestion and how-to-guide, @bwiernik.

I agree that this seems like a better solution.