Zotfile annotations disappeared after exceeding storage quota

Today I tried to show my students Zotfile. It didn't work. Then I noticed I was over my storage quota. I upgraded to "unlimited" on zotero.org. When I came back to Zotero I noticed that all of my zotfile data in Zotero is gone and zotfile still doesn't work. What gives?
  • Not quite sure what you mean here.

First, I don't know what you're saying wasn't working in ZotFile but ZotFile doesn't really have anything to do with your storage quota. ZotFile is generally used for managing linked files, which by definition are unrelated to online Zotero file storage.

As for the rest, there's no "ZotFile data" or "ZotFile annotations". You annotate files in Zotero by opening them in your PDF reader of choice and saving back to the file. ZotFile is only related in that it lets you extract annotations back into Zotero notes, but those, too, are completely unrelated to file storage.
  • Ok, so it wasn't the storage quota.

Here is what is happening:

- All of my Zotfile data in Zotero is gone.
    - Zotfile is not working. I annotate a PDF that was captured by Zotero and save it. No Zotfile data shows up in Zotero.
  • You’re going to have to take the time to say more about what you’re referring to, in the context of what I’ve explained so far, if you want us to help you. As I said, there’s no such thing as “ZotFile data”. And nothing just “shows up” in Zotero when you annotate a PDF.
  • I think I solved it.

The extracted annotations indeed were not there in Zotero befofre.

But what I was not doing was basic: I forgot to: right click on the PDF > Manage Attachments > Extract Annotations.

When I did this with one PDF the extracted annotations from other PDFs seemed to refresh and show up in Zotero again.