Pay with Paypal

edited February 1, 2021
Hello,

I am trying to buy additional space but it is asking me for name, address, ZIP code, card number, card expiration and card CCV.

While I will provide email address, I will not provide physical address and I want to pay with PayPal.

Can I pay with PayPal?

Best
  • (I’m not affiliated with Zotero, just passing along information.)

All of that information is sent directly to the payment processor, none of it is transmitted to or stored on Zotero servers. Zotero takes your privacy extremely seriously.

https://www.zotero.org/support/privacy#storage_purchases
  • edited February 1, 2021
    Hello,

that reads like:

"Dear raffaem, we the Zotero team don't collect your personal data. But our friend the payment processor does. If you want cloud storage > 300MB, please hand over your personal data, including name, surname, and physical address, to him. Thanks."

That is unsatisfactory.

I don't ask to pay in Bitcoin. But at least with Paypal.

If your payment processor needs to collect personal data, and he/she is even so aggressive as to demand physical address, you chose the wrong payment processor.

Actually, I would rather hand my data over to the Zotero team than to an unspecified payment processor.
  • There is also GNU Taler that is acceptable: https://taler.net/en/
  • Our payment processor (Stripe) is specified in several places, including on the page you were linked to under "Third-Party Services Used"

Legally processing payments generally requires someone having your personal information, whether it is Stripe or PayPal. Stripe has generally suited our needs best.

https://www.zotero.org/support/storage_faq#what_if_i_don_t_have_a_credit_card_or_my_credit_card_doesn_t_work
    Also I don't think it's necessary to log my last sync:

"Last Zotero client sync: 12 hours ago from IP_ADDRESS (LOCATION)"
    Zotero takes your privacy extremely seriously.
    I don't need cloud storage anymore. I set it up using ZotFile.

I would consider a donation to Zotero if you allow me to donate through Paypal or something like that at least
  • https://www.zotero.org/support/forum_guidelines#ettiquette

Connecting to a web service shares your IP address. That is simply how the internet works. If you are concerned about that, you need to be using a VPN. This is nothing to do with Zotero, but with your ISP.

As stated on the privacy page, Zotero collects as little detail about you as possible and dramatically less than Elsevier (Mendeley) or Clavariate (Endnote). Zotero goes out of its way to use anonymous services not linked to any user data at all whenever possible (e.g., the PDF metadata retrieval service is unique in its privacy preserving features).

The page I linked to describes precisely what is collected and why. You were also linked to instructions for alternative payment procedures.

I would also note that Stripe very likely is collecting less information about you through this transaction than would PayPal with a transaction linked to your account and broader shopping activities.
  • edited February 2, 2021
    "Last Zotero client sync: 12 hours ago from IP_ADDRESS (LOCATION)"

Zotero takes your privacy extremely seriously.

Yeah, I see :)
    This is industry-standard security practice so that you can verify access to your account.

From the privacy page:
    We keep a record of the most recent IP addresses used to access your synchronized library in order to let you verify the security of your account and allow you to revoke access in your Zotero settings.
  • Would you consider allowing Zotero's users to buy their cloud storage using GNU Taler? https://taler.net/en/
    According to Taler: "there are currently no products in the market yet, and we believe this would be premature given the state of the project"

• Connecting to a web service shares your IP address. That is simply how the internet works. If you are concerned about that, you need to be using a VPN. This is nothing to do with Zotero, but with your ISP.
    I know that TCP requires full handshake ...

The problem is that my VPN gets stuck. Support says that I have an unsupported Linux distribution, because they support Ubuntu but instead I have Kubuntu with the GNOME desktop .... you know ... stuff....
    Gonna reinstall with pure Ubuntu so to remove excuses.
    the PDF metadata retrieval service is unique in its privacy preserving features
    I didn't get that. Do you refer to the PDF of a scientific article? It contains my PII too? :p
    I would also note that Stripe very likely is collecting less information about you through this transaction than would PayPal with a transaction linked to your account and broader shopping activities.
    Yeah, my Paypal account would contain all my transactions.

But that Stripe could still aggregate my transaction based on my name and physical address ... and in any case I can in theory delete my Paypal account, although of course I don't know if it is truly deleted or just a boolean variable "deleted" is set to true in their database
    We keep a record of the most recent IP addresses used to access your synchronized library in order to let you verify the security of your account and allow you to revoke access in your Zotero settings.
    I don't know how this verification and revocation would work. I would revoke access to an IP address? Most IPs are dynamic these days
  • I would also note that this webpage works without Javascript ... Google Maps don't, it tells me that

When you have eliminated the JavaScript, whatever remains must be an empty page.
    Thank you Zotero!
  • I didn't get that. Do you refer to the PDF of a scientific article? It contains my PII too? :p
    https://www.zotero.org/blog/retracted-item-notifications/#designed-for-privacy

If you think your research isn't private, I don't know what to tell you.
    I don't know how this verification and revocation would work. I would revoke access to an IP address?
    You would revoke a specific API key, from the settings, based on its IP address and IP geolocation. This works the same in most cloud services.
    Most IPs are dynamic these days
    No, they're really not — that hasn't been the case for many residential ISPs in many years.

You don't seem to have a firm grasp of most of the technical, legal, or privacy-related issues here, and given the accusatory tone and snark you've demonstrated in this thread (some of which you've since deleted), and your unwillingness to accept the things we've explained, I'm not going to let you take up more of anyone's time with uninformed nonsense. I'm closing this thread.

We'll be happy to answer further support questions about using Zotero.

If you have further questions about privacy, you can actually read our privacy policy, which documents every kind of network request that Zotero makes, the reason for it, and how to turn it off. But further posts like this from you won't be approved.
This discussion has been closed.