Author Initials Appearing in Citations

I've tried to figure out why this is happening with no luck. Some of my in-text citations (APA 7th Edition) continue to add the initials of the author. I have no other citations in my library with this author, so that's not the problem. I have deleted and then readded the citation and that didn't work.
  • Have you tested this with a new document with a single citation? If it does occur there, could we see the bibliography entry (just paste here)?

If it only happens in an existing document, it's going to be https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/given_name_disambiguation (might be an old duplicate or so -- again, looking at the bibliography might help)
  • OK, I do have another citation with the same last name and first initial. But it's a different year. Zotero is trying to distinguish between the two, but it doesn't need to.
    When I created a new document with just one of these citations, it works, no initial. But when I use both, both citations have initials. See below.

Brown, S. (2002). Women and addiction: Expanding theoretical points of view. In The handbook of addiction treatment for women (pp. 26–51). Jossey-Bass.
    Brown, S. A. (2011). Standardized measures for substance use stigma. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 116(1–3), 137–141. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2010.12.005
  • Here is what it looks like with both citations in the brand new document.

Hello (S. A. Brown, 2011)
    And also (S. Brown, 2002)

• That's simply correct APA style. First authors are always disambiguated in APA (since they appear in different locations in the bibliography), not just when that's required to distinguish citations.
  • Oh wow, I had no idea. I wonder if this is new to APA 7th? I don't remember this from APA 6th. Thanks so much! I heart my Zotero software!
  • edited January 30, 2021
    No, that stayed the same between 6th and 7th ed
  • OK, I guess I've been doing it wrong!!
    Thanks again for your help, Adam, much appreciated.
  • If S. Brown and S.A. Brown are indeed the same person you should edit your records so that the most complete author name is used in all of your records (even if a less-complete name is used in one of the publications).
  • @rchernick this is the most commonly misunderstood rule in APA style in my experience, so you’re far from the only one to miss it.
  • S. Brown and S.A. Brown are two different authors, so the citations are correct.
    Thank you @bwiernik -- learn something new every day!