Attempting to add bibliography to Word document froze Word and Zotero

This discussion was created from comments split from: More problems... cannot create bibliography in word.
  • Hi there,
    I had a similar problem. Attempting to add a bibliography to a Word document would freeze both Word and Zotero. I found the problem while using MS Word (builds 13530.20440 and 13628.20274) and Zotero version 5.0.95.1.

The document in which I noticed the problem is 657 kb in size, about 30 pages in length and 150-200 citations.

Updating Word did not fix the problem. However, after following the suggestions on debugging a broken document (see https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/debugging_broken_documents) I found that there was a single corrupted citation causing the problem. I removed that citation and everything worked fine. I think the problem was that I modified the parenthetical citation to include some other information in the parentheses, which included a greek letter. I re-added the original citation and didn't have anymore problems.

Hope it helps.
  • I modified the parenthetical citation to include some other information in the parentheses, which included a greek letter
    You likely want to do that with Prefix or Suffix. See Customizing Cites.
  • (Editing a citation in the document certainly shouldn't cause freezing, and doesn't in general, though. If you can reproduce this, we'd want to see the document excerpt, as explained at the bottom of the Debugging Broken Documents page.)