Question about Storage vs Zotero folders in Mac OSX directory

Hi all - I'm trying to delete some files in my Zotero data directory (I believe they're all uploaded to the Zotero servers, and they're definitely all backed up to an external hard drive). I'd like to free up some space on my hard drive, and read a suggestion that I could delete PDFs that have already been uploaded from the "storage" folder in the Zotero data directory (I'm using OSX). I also noticed that there's another folder in the data directory, called just "Zotero," which also seems to have all of (or at least a large number of) the PDFs downloaded.

Is it okay to delete the files in there as well? Or should I just stick to "storage"? Thanks for the help!
  • I also noticed that there's another folder in the data directory, called just "Zotero," which also seems to have all of (or at least a large number of) the PDFs downloaded.
    If you're saying there's a 'Zotero' within 'Zotero', then that's something you created by mistake — e.g., by copying another data directory into 'Zotero' instead of copying its contents (zotero.sqlite and 'storage').

You should double-check what your actual active data directory is. Assuming it's the outer one (/Users/:username/Zotero), the sub-'Zotero' is likely unused and out of date (look at the date of the zotero.sqlite file) and can be deleted.
  • Yeah exactly - there was a "Zotero" within "Zotero." Not sure how that got there, but thanks for the help on this. I’ll get rid of it after double checking the dates on the files. Thank you!