Adding page numbers to a specific entry

Hello,

the team has made a nice job on zotero: very handy and nice look-and-feel. Unfortunetely I don't understand zotero's logic in one aspect and I can't find a solution in the forum. If I cite a source, I understood how to manually add a page number when inserting the source into Word: So if you type in "p. 5", the short citation would be "Miller 2017, p. 5". That's fine but I would like to add page number to a note within zotero beforehand, so that it does the job automatically when incerting a quote and I can track where exactly that quote is within the source.

I have worked with Citavi before and there you can add a page number to each entry of a souce. So I have dozens of entries for one source and when I cite a specific entry, the program adds its page number to the short citation in my word doc. I have tried to do this in zotero but the notes don't offer a field for adding a page number. Is that also possible in zotero or can I just quote the entire souce, not its entries such as notes?

I would appreciate your help, thank you very much in advance,

Alexander
  • Zotero doesn't have a function to manage individual quotes like Citavi, no.
  • edited April 20, 2021
    I had the same question. thanks for asking, and for the answer.

related question: I often take notes when reading a book, and make note of specific quotes on specific pages. Is the best way to store these quote references in Zotero using a Book item + individual notes for each quote, a Book item + and a single note, or multiple Book Section items (which has a Pages field) and a note for the related quote?

Book item + and a single note is simplest, and since "Zotero doesn't have a function to manage individual quotes," there's no particular reason to store each quote as a separate note -- but I would love to hear other users' experience / thoughts on this. thx!
  • In the new note editor in the Zotero beta, you can insert citations with page numbers into your note, and then use the word processor plugin's new Add Note feature to insert the note with active Zotero citations. (When working off a PDF, you can also highlight the PDF directly and add those annotations to Zotero notes with citations included.)
  • edited April 22, 2021
    Neat. I installed the beta, and I see the new editor now. So If I'm making research notes from a book of various quotations and their associated page numbers, I would store all of those in one note, and format the note like I see in the "new note editor" doc that you linked to? Since I'm working from printed book (not a PDF), I am making manual entries, not 'annotations' from the PDF... Do the notes & page numbers somehow format themselves, or do I have to format them myself?