Information disappearing from "Extra field"

My university is using Zotero as a research tool. A question came up that I would like some insight on.

A student was using the "Extra" field to create an annotated bibliography. When the student returned to their Zotero they reported it being blank.
The potential problems I can think of are:
Are they signed into Zotero using the same email? (Do they have multiple accounts?)

Are they using the Desktop, Online or both? If they're using both they can try "syncing" by clicking the green 1/2 circle in the upper-righthand corner.

Is the Extra field empty in their Zotero? Or did this problem occur when they were downloading an annotated bibliography (copy/paste in Word)?
I realize that this is incomplete information and I can update this post when I know more.

Thanks in advance!
  • None of those things are likely to be relevant, but if they can provide explicit steps to reproduce the problem, that would be helpful. They should make sure they're using the latest version of Zotero.
  • One particular thing I'd ask is how the Extra field _started_, i.e. the first 20 or so characters. Zotero moves some information form Extra to specific fields automatically when it follows a specific pattern (name of the field followed by a colon) and I wonder if that might be related.