A style with endnotes (not numeric) in brackets?

Is there a style that would allow me to use endnotes/footnotes, but which places the note reference within brackets rather than in superscript?

I'm writing a grant application where I need to economise on the number of characters I use and using footnotes is preferable to using author-date (since the list of references is excluded from the character count).

Furthermore, the funder requires that I paste the project description into a web form that will strip the text of any formatting. Therefore, the superscript will likely be lost and so I need some other way of indicating that the figure is a note and not a number. So I want consecutively numbered notes in brackets [1], where each note can cite multiple references. Also, I don't want to use a numeric style – it's rare in my field and might confuse readers.

I understand I could edit an existing footnote style to achieve this, but perhaps there's already one out there that comes close to what I'm looking for.
  • Use a “numeric” style rather than a “footnote” style. There are many numeric styles that use brackets in the Zotero repository.
    https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=Brack&format=numeric
  • Thanks for the response! However, the numeric styles I've tried thus far seem to produce variants of this:

Previous research has documented the systematic historical injustices perpetrated by the states [1, 2]; analyzed government policy towards the Sami [3]; and described evolving Sami ethnopolitical mobilization and activism [1, 4].

References:
    1. Some book
    2. Another book
    3. An article.
    4. A book chapter

What I want is rather this:

Previous research has documented the systematic historical injustices perpetrated by the states [1]; analyzed government policy towards the Sami [2]; and described evolving Sami ethnopolitical mobilization and activism [3].

Endnotes:
    1. Some book. Another book.
    2. An article.
    3. Some book. A book chapter.

…i.e., the only difference to a regular footnote style would be that notes are not in superscript but within brackets.
  • In that case, you would need to change the format of the footnote markers in Word settings, nothing to do with Zotero. Zotero just tells Word “insert a footnote here”