Issue syncing all data through WebDAV

Hello,

I store quite a few files (more than the free storage and I'm not currently able to pay for storage) in zotero, but run a NextCloud server that has WebDAV enabled. I have successfully set up sync and see what appear to be zip files of my PDFs, great!

But when I add child notes to my documents, I don't actually see any changes to the synced folder in NextCloud. Is this the expected behavior? If so, how can I ensure all the data I include in Zotero will be backed up to my NextCloud database?

To be clear with my goals, I'm wanting to be able to work on my office laptop, then move home and be able to pick up where I left off, which is currently the case for other services I use that NextCloud facilitates (like paper writing being synced), but I also want to ensure that any data I put in Zotero won't disappear if my laptop drive fails.
  • WebDAV is only for file syncing. All data syncing goes through Zotero servers.
  • edited January 21, 2021
    Thanks for the info @dstillman! That clarification kind of made the documentation of syncing on the Zotero info pages "click" so to speak! So to be clear, there is no way to sync both my files and data with my privately hosted server, and not Zotero's? Is there any push to get this functionality?

I understand the sqlite database cannot be synced in parts and must be entirely copies over at each sync, as well as any other potentially large file. Personally I would be very okay with the data component syncing only once every so often while attachments are copied instantly (or an option to set relative timing).

• Syncing data via WebDAV isn't possible.

The Zotero dataserver is open source, and some organizations run their own installs, but we don't currently provide any support for doing so, and it can be extremely challenging on a technical level.
    I understand the sqlite database cannot be synced in parts and must be entirely copies over at each sync
    That's not how data syncing does or could work.
  • I see, well, hopefully there will eventually be a dataserver docker image that Zotero can easily be pointed to later on. I appreciate the information!