Zotero Standalone Running Slow - Search and Word

Hello All,

Hope you are doing well.

My installation is running incredibly slowly - and now so slow that I cannot get results of a search from within Zotero.

Using Zotero to insert references in Word has been incredibly slow - circa 90 seconds for a search (even in a fresh document with no references). Now, isn't working at all.

I've just reinstalled Zotero.

Debug submitted:D2146028456

Would appreciate any tips or help!

Thanks!

David
  • How old is this Mac, and how much RAM do you have?

It looks like you have a pretty big database, but it should still work fine on a modern system.

I'm a bit confused by this log, though. What exactly were you trying to show yourself doing in this? I see a Zotero startup (which doesn't really appear slow at all for that size DB — started up in 10 seconds) followed by clicking Add/Edit Citation, twice, but I don't see any attempt to search for anything.

Can you restart Zotero and provide another Debug ID just for one specific action, not for Zotero startup?
  • Hi @dstillman thank you for this.

2016 laptop - on its way out perhaps? 8GB RAM.

D1501181389 is the new debug log - for a search. It's (of course!) now working faster...

Maybe the reinstallation has now worked - is there a re-indexing process perhaps that was still underway?

Thank you for this help!
  • edited January 20, 2021
    That Debug ID just shows syncing going on — a lot of item deletions being uploaded.

What do you mean by "reinstallation"? There are some things that happen in the background if you sync down a lot of items and files at once.

A 2016 Mac laptop should be fine, though 8 GB can get slow if you have a lot of programs open (just in general, not for Zotero in particular). Restarting your computer and not opening many programs (or browser tabs) at once will help.
  • Yes - a big clean out to see if I had overloaded the system. I've let it run to sync those changes and all seems to be going well so far.

Thank you @dstillman really appreciate this help!

Dc