Zotero Word add-in for Windows bug with 5.0.95.1

Greetings friends. I was excited to wake up and see v5.0.95.1 this morning especially since it came with the change notes: Fixed repeated installation of Word plugin (since 5.0.95)

Working with my QA team I noticed the issue with 5.0.95. At first it did seem like it was trying to install the Word Add-in repeatedly. Upon further research, however, we discovered that with Office 2016 ProPlus it not only was repeatedly attempting to install the addon was never installing properly for MS Word! We developed a simple workaround that fixed the bug which I can show you in powershell:

Copy-Item -Path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\extensions\zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org\install\Zotero.dotm" -Destination "$($env:appdata)\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP" -Force

Since this needs to run for every user we created an active setup script. Not the end of the world but I was really hoping a bug fix could address this. What do you think?

Dropping support for Office 2016 in favor of the newer 2019 and 365 seems perfectly reasonable to me but I get the impression that you don't intend to do that just yet. Thanks.
  • (No need to post to other threads — there's no reason to think whatever issue you're experiencing is the same as anyone else's.)

There's no general bug here with Office 2016 — Zotero has worked fine with Office 2016 for years. If Zotero isn't able to install the plugin into the Startup folder, something on your system — e.g., security software or restrictions — may be preventing that from happening.

If you remove the .dotm file from the Startup folder and it's not added when you try to reinstall from the Cite → Word Processors pane of the Zotero preferences, we'd want to see a Debug ID for clicking that button.
  • If I click install under 'Cite → Word Processor' then it adds Zotero add-on for Word like all the previous versions did automatically when you launch Zotero.

I can leave a note for users to do this to set it up. We only have about 100 installs of Zotero and most people I think are pretty savvy who use it.
  • No, there shouldn't be any need to tell people to do this. We're just debugging here. This should obviously work automatically.

If you have a 5.0.95.1 installation where the plugin hasn't been installed automatically, go to the Config Editor in the Advanced pane of the Zotero preferences, search for "winword", and let us know all the values. (You can right-click to copy names and values.)
  • extensions.zoteroWinWordIntegration.installed;false
    extensions.zoteroWinWordIntegration.skipInstallation;false
    extensions.zoteroWinWordIntegration.version;5.0.19.SA.5.0.95.1
  • in this test I ran the install as administrator however I usually run as 'nt/system authority' via an SCCM installation
  • If you run the installation manually for this user does the extension get installed? Does extensions.zoteroWinWordIntegration.installed change to true?
  • No it makes no difference if I install it on a managed windows device with SCCM running as system or I install it on an unmanaged virtual machine just as the logged on user with administrator rights. Working with my QA team we have confirmed this across several different hardware models and versions of Windows 10.
  • edited January 21, 2021
    Previous versions I have worked with 5.0.65-5.0.91 did not have this bug it appeared in 5.0.95
  • There hasn't been any changes to 5.0.95 in terms of what the template installer does. The only bug we had was in the version checking code that falsely reported the template version to not be up to date even after installing the newer version on startup. However, extensions.zoteroWinWordIntegration.installed is false then the installer is failing completely for some reason. Could you submit a Report ID after attempting an install on one of the setups where you're seeing the issue?
  • ReportID:1104099413

• edited January 21, 2021
    There are no errors in there. That's after clicking the install button in Preferences → Cite → Word Processors? What exactly happens when you click that?
  • Can I send you a dump from Procmon? Would you be able to analyze that data on your Mac/Linux?
  • FYI the latest version dropped and this bug is still presenting
  • edited February 27, 2021
    I'm not clear on what you're saying the bug is at this point. We were asking what happens after clicking the install button in the preferences for that user — do you get an error, do those Config Editor lines change, and is the template installed?