Error has occured. Everytime after restart

Error ID: 1679745861
Every time I restart Zotero I get the message "An error has occured. Please restart Zotero"

Restart doesn't help. I also deinstalled and reinstalled Zotero, removed the Zotero-folder and restarted the computer.
I also have no idea what happened so it might not work.
  • [JavaScript Error: "JSON.parse: unexpected character at line 1 column 1 of the JSON data" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/zoteroPane.js" line: 4858}]
    [JavaScript Error: "format is undefined" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/zoteroPane.js" line: 1631}]
    Can you provide a Debug ID (different from a Report ID) for a Zotero startup, using the "Restart with Logging Enabled" option?
  • edited January 18, 2021
    @barbarakonz: Also, try closing Zotero, going to your Zotero profile directory, and moving prefs.js to your desktop. Then restart Zotero and see if that helps. (You'll need to set any preferences again, including syncing.)

If that fixes it, can you email that file to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread?
  • @dstillermann
    The Debug ID is D981101175
    I'm working on Windows 10 with Zotero Version 5.0.95.

Unfortunatelly, the second option is not working after removeing prefs.js, but I aslo don't have to set preferneces again.

After startup I can see my library folders, however, no entries are shown.
  • Are you sure you closed Zotero completely before moving prefs.js?

Also, are you saying you moved prefs.js back, or that you didn’t lose any settings? Because you’ll definitely lose settings if you remove it properly from that folder.

I’d be very surprised if removing that file didn’t fix this.
  • edited January 18, 2021
    Yes, I also tried it again. Closed Zotero (even checked in the task manager that nothing (with zotero*) is running in the background) -> moved file -> started Zotero again. No changes at all, except there is a new prefs.js n the folder.
    I didn't lose any settings and I didn't move it back
    Before I wrote here, I also trieds to uninstall it twice.
  • What settings are you referring to? Deleting prefs.js should definitely clear some settings. E.g., if you enable View menu → "Show Items from Subcollections", and then delete prefs.js with Zotero closed, that setting should be set to off. Is it?
  • "Show Items from Subcollections" -> This disappears after removing prefs.js
    I just didn't see any changes in my Sync options yesterday.

I tried again yesterday to uninstall it and removed the Zotero-AppData folder, as well as the folder in my User directory, but no changes after reinstall.
  • If you go to Tools → Developer → Run JavaScript and run Zotero.Prefs.get("export.quickCopy.setting"), what's the result?
  • @barbarakonz: And can I see another Debug ID from startup after you've deleted prefs.js?
  • I get:
    ===>undefined<=== (undefined)
  • edited January 19, 2021
    Hmm, that shouldn't be possible.

If you go to Edit → Preferences → Advanced, click Config Editor, click past the warning, and search for export.quickCopy.setting, what are the Status, Type, and Value?
  • The new Debug ID is D1655004687.

When I am in the Config Editor list, there is no "export.quickCopy.setting" setting.
    In fact, there is nothing containg "export" according to the search.
  • edited January 19, 2021
    Right, OK, so there's something completely broken about your installation — you have no default preferences, which is breaking various things because it's not supposed to be possible.

Can you start by uninstalling 5.0.95 completely and reinstalling 5.0.95.1 from the download page?
  • Thanks that helped! Maybe I should have downloaded the newer version from the beginning. Since the update option said I have the newest version, I didn't think about it.
    Now everything seems fine.
    Thanks a lot.
  • 5.0.95.1 was just released yesterday. But there's no reason that should've fixed this in a way that a full uninstall and reinstall wouldn't have, and we had no other reports of this in 5.0.95.

Anyway, no need to worry about it, if it's working for you now. This wasn't related to your data directory, so if you moved that, you should restore it. And remember to set up syncing again if you were using it.
  • It worked out of the box. I didn't need to remove left over foders and my library just loaded after starting the new version (it was synced by the old version).