Zotero and Google docs

Hi there,
New to using Zotero.
On some google docs I am using (shared with other users) Zotero is showing as an option (at the top, nestled between 'Add Ons' and 'Help'), as it should be.
On another doc, the one where I actually need to use Zotero, it is not showing up as an option - greyed out or otherwise. Other users have left comments on this doc - I don't know of there status with Zotero, as I read this may have a bearing.
I recently updated Chrome as Zotero was greyed out. After the update it has disappeared altogether. Are you able to advise how I might go about restoring functionality?

Thanks!
  • edited January 17, 2021
    I recently updated Chrome as Zotero was greyed out.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "greyed out", but that sounds potentially like a misunderstanding. The "Save to Zotero" button in the browser toolbar, if that's what you're referring to, will be gray on any page where metadata can't be detected. And the Z button in the Google Docs is supposed to be gray.

If you don't see the "Save to Zotero" button in your toolbar at all, you also won't see anything in Google Docs. In that case, see No Toolbar Button. Most likely you need to reinstall the Zotero Connector.

Note that the Zotero options won't appear on Word .docx documents that you've opened directly in Google Docs.
  • I'm having the same problem with Mozilla Firefox. The tab that allows me to add citations into the article is greyed out. The little add-on that import citations into my zotero database is working just fine though.
  • I'm now starting to think that it was because I was using zotero in multiple tabs. When I closed all but one, it started working again.
  • I also think that the zotero tab greys out when not in "editing" mode.
  • I also think that the zotero tab greys out when not in "editing" mode.
    Correct, but this is the intended behavior. We cannot support citing in the suggestion mode.
  • Furthermore, if one is in editing mode, but tries to add a citation to a span of text that has been "suggested" but not accepted, this can cause Google Docs to hang (though closing the tab and re-opening it seems to fix the problem).