Sync doesn't work. Failure code: 0x80570016

edited January 14, 2021
My sync doesn't work. I just installed Zotero 5.0.93 on Win 10. I need your help.
Report ID: 2090427718
A few error code lines:

[output removed — D.S.]
  • edited January 14, 2021
    No need to post error messages from the report — just the Report ID. We'll quote anything that's relevant.

What we need is the actual error message you're receiving when you try to sync, if you're getting one.

Can you also provide a Debug ID (different from a Report ID) for a sync attempt that fails?
  • Thank you very much for your help. I reported the ID of the error that I sent to you directly from Zotero after sync problem. I can provide Debug ID only tomorrow since it's in my office. Sync works fine on my home mac. And sorry for a long error message. This was my first post here.
  • Debug ID: D1641243880 after preferences -> Sync -> Entering pass. -> Set Up Syncing
  • Debug ID: D141817615 after pressing the Sync toolbar button.
  • [JavaScript Error: "Error: Initialization failed" {file: "jar:file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Zotero/omni.ja!/components/storage-json.js" line: 87}]

[JavaScript Error: "NS_ERROR_XPC_JAVASCRIPT_ERROR_WITH_DETAILS: [JavaScript Error: "Initialization failed" {file: "jar:file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Zotero/omni.ja!/components/storage-json.js" line: 87}]'[JavaScript Error: "Initialization failed" {file: "jar:file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Zotero/omni.ja!/components/storage-json.js" line: 87}]' when calling method: [nsILoginManagerStorage::initialize]" {file: "jar:file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Zotero/omni.ja!/components/nsLoginManager.js" line: 127}]

[JavaScript Error: "Component returned failure code: 0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE) [nsIJSCID.getService]" {file: "resource://gre/modules/XPCOMUtils.jsm" line: 261}]

TypeError: Services.logins is undefined
    OK, you're getting some weird errors. Try reinstalling Zotero from the download page.

If that doesn't help, try going to your Zotero profile directory and deleting cert9.db, key4.db and logins.json. Then restart Zotero.

If that doesn't help, this is likely a problem with something on your computer — such as security software — preventing Zotero from accessing its logins database, and you'll need to experiment.
  • I solved this problem in a very funny way. At the university, we do not have administrative rights for installing software, and install everything from one repository. I downloaded the installation package from Zotero and install Zotero to C:\Zotero directory instead of normal installation, which I could not do anyway (due to restricted rights). Now everything works as expected. Thanks for providing this option. So, the problem with sync was indeed caused by restricted rights.