Openoffice plugin 3.0a1 in Linux - Zotero integration error

I installed the Firefox Openoffice extension 3.0a1 after upgrading to Zotero 2.0b7.
I am now getting the following error whenever I try to insert a citation in a document:

Zotero integration error
Firefox could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate Firefox extension is installed, then try again.

I am using Ubuntu 9.04, Zotero 2.0b7, Firefox 3.0.14, Openoffice 3.0.1.

I don't know if this is relevant, but when I first installed the Firefox OOo plugin, I got some error message about java - I assumed this was related to java in Openoffice which I had disabled. I enabled it in OOo, restarted, and then started getting the error about integration.
  • edited September 15, 2009
    Hi gekko,

the problem is solved :-):

The problem are different Java version (original sun, openJDK, Icedtea).

Deinstall all Java openJDK packages using your package manager
    Deinstall all Zotero plugins
    Install the original SUN Java 1.6.
    Choose the original Sun Java 1.6. in OpenOffice (extra > options > openoffice.org > java)
    Firefox should use the original Sun plugin
    Install both Zotero plugins.
    Use "reinstall OpenOffice.org components" in the Zotero OpenOffice Integration plugin

Now, everything should work.

Greetings

Michael

see also:
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/8667/openoffice-freeze-when-insert-citation/#Item_13
  • Look in about:plugins in Firefox. What Java plugin are you using? Ubuntu installs the IcedTea Java plugin by default, but the Zotero OO plugin doesn't currently work with it. The sun-java6-plugin should work fine.

I've added a note about this to the installation page.
  • Brilliant!! Worked perfectly, thank you so much Michael and Dan for your help!
This discussion has been closed.