Snow Leopard / MacWord plugins

Hi,

I was following the discussion on http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/8474/latest-mac-plugin-not-working-in-snow-leopard/#Item_0 which I see has been closed within the past hour. I recently installed Snow Leopard, and earlier today followed the advice to add the two files mentioned at that thread to my /Library/Python/2.6/site-packages directory. I was then using Zotero happily until I had to restart Firefox (for an unrelated reason). When it rebooted, I was directed to install Zotero 2.0b7. When I then tried to use Zotero, I was told that I did not have the right plugins. When I tried to get the Python extension download, I realised I had not got the latest version of Firefox, so paused to download version 3.5. I then grabbed PythonExt 2.6.1 as well as the other plugin required for MacWord 2008 and rebooted Firefox. When I then went back to Word and tried to enter a citation, I got the following message:

Firefox could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate Firefox extension is installed, then try again.

Upon closer inspection, I saw that my Firefox extensions list was still telling me that my Python extension would only be installed once Firefox had been restarted. I tried restarting again a couple of times, and even rebooting the computer, but this message is still there. I tried uninstalling the extension and reinstalling it. Still, the message remains. And when I looked in /Library just now, I could no longer see the Python folder that was once there.

I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do. Can anyone please help?!

Many thanks in advance.
  • I saw that my Firefox extensions list was still telling me that my Python extension would only be installed once Firefox had been restarted. I tried restarting again a couple of times, and even rebooting the computer, but this message is still there.
    Try deleting Firefox's extension cache files.
    And when I looked in /Library just now, I could no longer see the Python folder that was once there.
    Are you sure you're looking in /Library and not ~/Library (within your home folder)?
  • Hi Dan,

Unfortunately, deleting the extension cache files has resulted in a bit of bedlam being unleashed among my extensions. A whole load of them are saying they are incompatible with Firefox 3.5 now, in addition to several more saying that they will be installed when Firefox is restarted (they are still saying that after a further restart).

A funny thing I noticed (in case it helps) is that I see that my Faviconize Tab extension claims not to be compatible with Firefox 3.5, and yet I am able to faviconize (unless this is a new feature on the full version of the browser now).

By the way, you were right about the Python folder. It is still there, with 2.6 containing the two files that I placed there earlier today.

Robin
  • Have you confirmed that your other extensions are, in fact, compatible with Firefox 3.5? Deleting the cache files would re-enable any extensions that Firefox had automatically disabled due to incompatibility with 3.5, and if they're not compatible they'll say so.

It sounds like you have some issues to work out in your Firefox profile, so you may want to try the Mozilla forums. If you like, you can try to get the new Zotero plugin working in a separate Firefox profile while you're troubleshooting your main one. If it works in the new one you can always copy data over selectively.
  • Thanks for this suggestion, Dan. I am in the process of re-installing Zotero in my new profile as we speak. One important question I have as I do this is: how can I copy across my (now huge) library of references and also my personalised citation style?
  • http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/transferring_a_library

If you copy the entire data directory as described there, you'll get everything (except for preferences).
  • Thanks, I'll have a look at that in a moment.

More pressing, though, is that now that I have Zotero and the relevant plugins in place in my new profile, clicking to add a citation results in nothing. I.E. no response at all!
  • Just to make sure everything is installed properly, close Word and then, in Firefox, go to Tools->Add-ons->Zotero MacWord Integration->Preferences and click Reinstall Word Components. Then start Word and try again.

If it's still not working, check Report Errors in the Zotero gear menu, and if possible send in an error report and post the Report ID here.
  • Marvellous, Dan, that did the job. I then copied the Zotero folder across, as you suggested, and everything seems to be in order now. I think I will gradually migrate all my Firefox bits and bobs across to my new profile as and when I get time. Thanks a lot!
  • OK, great.

If you haven't found this page yet, http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Recovering+important+data+from+an+old+profile may help.
  • Thanks again, Dan - beyond the call of duty! Appreciated.
  • Hi again,

I was just getting on with my work and had entered several of my pending citations when all of a sudden I got the following message:

Zotero Integration Error

Firefox could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate Firefox extension is installed, then try again.

The only thing I could think of was that there could be some kind of conflict between the only other of my Firefox add-ons that I've reinstalled in my new profile, X-marks. I disabled that and restarted Firefox, but to no avail. Any ideas?
  • Pointing to your new thread for the second issue: http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/8697/
This discussion has been closed.