Zotfile- Extract Annotations broken on Mac

It seems that the libs for Extract Annotations-macIntel are broken. When I choose Extract annotations (Zotfile), I get an system error message telling me they are malware.

I think this has to do with the extension libs not being signed properly.

I have circumvented it by manually right-clicking each of the 15 files and choosing Open.

5.0.95-beta.3+4db61b8dc
MacOS 10.15.7 Catalina
Zotfile 5.0.16
  • What's the exact message you're getting?

ZotFile hasn't changed since February, and Catalina hasn't changed since September. This is about something on your computer, not a general problem.
  • Of course it may be something else in my setup, but I may also not have used the extract annotations feature since september.

Anyway, it is not possible for me to reproduce the error message, as I have already given permission to open the libs. It was a malware notice, with an option to delete the file or to ignore it (and a link to a system help note on malware). When clicking ignore, it would proceed to the next lib file and give a new error.
  • Of course it may be something else in my setup, but I may also not have used the extract annotations feature since september.
    That's not the point — the point is that 1) ZotFile hasn't been updated in almost a year, 2) the odds of the final .7 point release of macOS breaking something are very slim, and 3) probably tens of thousands of people use ZotFile on macOS, and there'd be many more reports if there were a general problem. It's not helpful or appreciated to come here and say things like "It seems the libs are broken" and "I think this has to do with the extension libs not being signed properly". Just report the problem you're experiencing, and a ZotFile developer or someone else will look into it.

The Poppler files that ZotFile downloads if you use that option in the Advanced pane haven't changed in almost 10 years. They're not signed, but when downloaded by Zotero they also shouldn't be subject to Gatekeeper, so I'm not sure why you would get a warning. (I've also never seen macOS show a warning about libraries rather than executables.)

In any case, if you can reproduce the problem (e.g., by deleting "ExtractPDFAnnotations" and "ExtractPDFAnnotations.zip" in your Zotero data directory and downloading again), let us know, and let us know the actual error message. It works for me.
  • I am sorry for making unwarranted hypotheses. I thank you for your patience in replying.

I have deleted the ExtractPDFAnnotations folders, reinstalled Zotfile, restarted Zotero, and installed Poppler from the advanced setting: No error message.