When i use zotero extensions in the word for mac,it's always said “Troubleshooting Errors in Word P”

The report ID is 416211935
I have tried all the steps which were in the website:https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/debugging_broken_documents, start-kb-debugging_broken_documents.
It cannot work from I first installed it till now.
I hope I can solve this problem as soon as possible.

The Microsoft word for Mac is 16.44(20121301), ID of products is 04242-000-000004.

Thanks!
  • edited December 30, 2020
    [JavaScript Error: "The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -1708.) @[setTextRaw:field.m:451]" {file: "file:///Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroMacWordIntegration.js" line: 266}]"
    Does this happen inserting a citation into a new, empty document?

Are you running any non-standard security software on this computer?
  • not an empty document; and I did not install any security software in the computer...
    I'm asking if it happens in an empty document.

If it only happens in an existing document, see Troubleshooting Errors in Word Processor Documents.
  • Both the empty document and existing document met this problem,I tried just now.
  • Is this your own computer or an institutional computer?
  • My own computer.
    Does this happen with any citation? E.g., a new, empty book item with the word "Test" as the title and "2020" as the Date and no other fields?

Does it happen with any citation style?

If yes to both, things you could try:

1) Create a new macOS user account and see if it happens there.

2) Reinstall Word. (We don't normally suggest this but there's not a lot else we can suggest here. This isn't a general problem and suggests some sort of specific problem on your computer.)
  • When I start the Zotero extensions in the Word, I have chosen the citation style.

And it happens in the situation when I have typed some words or typed nothing in the documents, and I am going to add the citation. When I press the button"Add/Edit Citation", the warning has appeared.
  • So it happens before the citation dialog even appears?

Can you provide a Debug ID (different from a Report ID) for this occurring?
  • Here is the ID: 416211935. Thanks!
  • Debug ID — follow my link
  • OK, that shows you selecting a non-English item. Again:
    Does this happen with any citation? E.g., a new, empty book item with the word "Test" as the title and "2020" as the Date and no other fields?
  • I am sorry I cannot understand what is the book item, isn't it the word document?
    In Zotero, manually create a new item of type Book. Set "Test" as the Title and "2020" as the Date. Leave all other fields empty. Then provide a Debug ID for searching for that item and selecting it from the citation dialog, and let us know if you can insert it successfully.

We're testing whether this problem only happens with items with non-English characters in them.
  • It cannot work again. Debug ID:D1711097313.
  • Does the same thing happen if you select APA 7th Edition as the style?
  • Yes. Debug ID:D346310773
  • That's not with the Test item.
  • I tried with the Test item and one of my English paper and Chinese Paper. Only English paper worked.
  • So the English paper works with APA style?

But the English paper fails with a footnote style, and a Chinese paper fails with both APA and a footnote style?
  • Can we see a Debug ID for APA style with English working properly, just so we can compare all versions?
  • This one! Debug ID:D346310773
  • No, that shows a failure. You said it works with an English paper and APA. I'm asking to see a Debug ID for it working.
  • Sorry. This one is new. D1708704124
  • OK, so it looks like it's failing for you with any citation that has to use rich text (RTF). So this works:

(4)(+0000015): ZoteroMacWordIntegration: setText rtf:false (Chen, 2004)

But these don't:

(4)(+0000016): ZoteroMacWordIntegration: setText rtf:true {\rtf \super [1]\nosupersub{}}

(4)(+0000026): ZoteroMacWordIntegration: setText rtf:true {\rtf ({\i{}test}, 2020)}

And neither does an APA style with Chinese characters, which would also use RTF due to the extended characters.

@adomasven will need to help you from here. In the meantime, reinstalling Word is the best thing I can suggest to try.
  • So now I should reinstall Word? And try again?
  • You can wait for Adomas to see if he has any other suggestions, or you can try reinstalling Word now.
  • Thanks! I would like to wait for Adomas~ And I'd like to know if I would wait him for a long time? Or in a few minutes?